Thread: Here is the latest rod for my arsenal.

Default Here is the latest rod for my arsenal.

Here is the latest rod I have finished up for myself. I've been playing around a lot lately with bamboo ferrules and got to fish this one pretty hard over the last few days. It was a lot of fun. Whenever I build a new rod for myself, I try something new. On this rod, I made my first rattan grip. I think it turned out pretty good but there are definately some things I will do differently next time.

Very handsome rod. What length and line weight is it? Silvercreek
    "Here fishy fishy."

Thumbs up Nice Rod!

Quote Originally Posted by gmreeves View Post
    .... On this rod, I made my first rattan grip......
    I think the Rattan Grip looks great! Have you made any bamboo rods shaved down to a cylinder diameter? I have read quite a bit about this process; however-it looks very challenging.....

Also, did you build your reel? Great looking setup! Very classy and functional design!
    Last edited by MadisonBoats; 10-05-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: grammar:)
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

The rod is a 7' 6" 5wt. It turned out to throw a really nice line. I took the Dickerson 7613 taper and altered it a little to allow for the bamboo ferrule and am really pleased with the outcome.

I have read about turnig rods out of wood on the lathe but have never tried it. Their is a pretty recent book on the subject but I don't have it yet. I know there were some in the past that turned traditional hexagon bamboo rods into cylinder but I don't see the advantage in it. The reel is a Bill Ballan. It has served me well since I bought it. Every now and then you can find a used one on ebay for fairly cheap but you can also buy a new one for around $250. Benchmade, classy looking, affordable, and functional. I like them. The only complaints I have heard about them is that they some times have some rough edges. Maybe I just got lucky.

Lovely looking 'boo. Sweet looking set-up as well.

JohnR

**** nice rod, GM. When I finally buy some boo, I am going to buy one of yours. What do they start at and what do you get for that?

Thanks for the compliments guys. I think this rod turned out to have a really classy look and that was what I was hoping for with the rattan grip and blued hardware.

Blueraiderfan,

Feel free to send me an email. I tried looking for some contact info on your blog site but couldn't find any. My email is maker at gmreeves dot com.

Great looking rod. Makes me want to take up boo again!