Thread: caddis larva

Default caddis larva

I asked a question about caddis pupa/larva a couple of weeks ago and got only 1 response, so Im assuming few people uses caddis imitations other than EHC dries.

Took the wife and kids leaf peeping and hiking the other day. While we stopped for lunch along a stream, I noticed a lot of little pebble cases on the rock underwater. After digging around a few minutes, I had found hundreds of cased caddis. The larva were cream or dark yellow, all about the same size. There is one in the case still in the picture above, the rest were pulled out of the cases. I tied 2 flies on 2 different hooks looking for the best imitation. There was also another cased caddis larva, but much smaller, about a size 22 hook. Case was very different.

Anyway, im not sure if caddis larva are a large part of the diet when no hatch is going on. Do they eat the caddis in cases, or prefer them out? I dont know how I would try to imitate the case, short of gluing rocks on a hook.

The fly on left is a curved caddis #16 1X short. The middle fly is an egg hook #12 3X short. Same length body, but the #12 gives the fly a bigger gape. The 16 looks like it might have problems getting a good set.
    Both are easy to tie. Antron body, brown dubbing, black bead head.

Jay

That is the the same fly I tie and fish. It may not be as productive as a pheasant tail but it will produce fish. I tie itin a bright green color also. If you pull caddis out of their case, you will see a variety that are green. Both seem to catch fish equally as well.

Current will wash the caddis out of their cases. I fish a brown hackle peacock or PT as an imitation. Plan on tying a few green ones to imitate the critters in the picture to fish the Hiwassee. Remember, 90% of what trout eat are under the surface.

yep, I fish those. I tie them with a latex tourniquet material for the body and color them with markers. stickbait imitation

Great post Jay. It works well on the Holston too.
    Brian

I've many trout that had the cases in their stomachs. Your flys look spot on. Try the latex fly Gary mentioned. I fish it also and it works.
    Lynn