Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meadow Branch and Sycamore Creek in Cherokee National Forest

I was in on the stocking of Sycamore Creek in 1995 and knew the folks the stocked Meadow Branch a couple of years earlier. We backpacked in a couple hundred (that is all we had) southern strain brook trout into upper Sycamore and planted them abovd a waterfall barrier in the headwaters. Two years later there were decent numbers of brookies at least 1/2 mile below the barrier. The Meadow Branch fish are definitely northern strain. A couple of years after the stocking, there were some really nice 10-12" brookies in there, but I have not seen any that size lately. I even caught a 13" rainbow on Meadow in 1996. It must have been one of the last rainbows that evaded capture.

Sycamore is a decent wild rainbow fishery in the lower reaches. There is much better trout water in that area, but Sycamore is a nice scenic little stream. The brookie water requires a pretty good hike. Haven't been on Sycamore in over a year, but used to spend quite a bit of time there in the past. Good stream if you're looking for some solitude.

I fished Meadow Branch a couple of weeks ago and found it to be full of silt in several places. The fishing was sub-par compared to previous trips to that stream. Kind of disappointing.

I haven't caught as many in last couple years as I used to, but they are still in there. Seems to me that they move around quite a bit and I think that people are taking some of them out.

Still seems to be some good ones here and there.