Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walter Babb - Perfect 10 Southern Charms (1-3)

I know they'll never be perfect
    First, they look pretty darn good to me. However, my flies are examples that a fly does not need to be perfect in order to catch fish.

To the best of my knowledge, the overwhelming majority of fish caught on a fly were done so using a bunch of feathers and/or other material tied to a big wire with a sharp pointy thing hanging off the back (or above the back in some styles).

Given that the fish don't notice a big pointy hunk of wire sticking out of the bug they're about to eat tells me they're not quite as picky as we fly fishermen and fly tiers are.

I took the advanced fly tying class at LRO a couple years back and we tied the Telico, George's, and the Spec. I have caught fish on all 3 of these flies both in the Smoky Mtns and other streams.

The Telico and George's Nymphs are bluegill killers by the way.

Again, very nice looking flies. I'm sure the trout will see them as candy.

Jeff

Granny, thanks for the heads up on the Sally Hansen! Really helped out with the shellbacks on my Tellicos. I almost think that I like using ph for the shellback rather than turkey. I'll try to post a pic after dinner.

BTW, I didn't make it to LRO today. Hazel had a vet appointment this morning that didn't go too well and I decided to sit at the house with her.
    Jason

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com

Quote Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
    Granny, thanks for the heads up on the Sally Hansen! Really helped out with the shellbacks on my Tellicos. I almost think that I like using ph for the shellback rather than turkey. I'll try to post a pic after dinner.

BTW, I didn't make it to LRO today. Hazel had a vet appointment this morning that didn't go too well and I decided to sit at the house with her.
    Glad it worked out.
    I'm always happy to share my nail-care secrets.

I hope Hazel is doing ok. I'll probably swing by this weekend to see if they have any more 2011 boots on display. I can grab the hackle then.

Quote Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
    I hope Hazel is doing ok.
    My wallet took a big hit this morning but as long as she is fine I don't care.

I'm still having a little bit of a problem getting the shellback to cover like I want. It seems like I'm loosing a bit when I tighten down on the tail. I'll get it figured out.

Figured that I would post a couple fly pics. I can't take a decent picture of a fly.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
    I'm still having a little bit of a problem getting the shellback to cover like I want. It seems like I'm loosing a bit when I tighten down on the tail. I'll get it figured out.
    That Blackburn looks great by my standards. One question...are you using a continual run of barbules for the tail and shellback?

Quote Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
    That Blackburn looks great by my standards. One question...are you using a continual run of barbules for the tail and shellback?
    Thanks for the compliment. I have tried it both ways and I like the continual run better.
    Jason