Thread: Hydros rod

Default Hydros rod

I'm thinking about a new 9' 4-weight. Any opinions on the Hydros w/tip flex?

steve
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

It will be my next 4 weight, i had the 9 & 10' Helios rods, sold them because i just enjoy fishing my T3's more.
    The Hydros reminds me of the T3's a little.
    Have you had the chance to cast one?

Grumpy

I have a hydros 5-wt. and absolutely love it. It casts great and is good for delicately delivering flies. I have never tried the 4-wt. version, but I don't think it would be a lot different. Probably a little lighter and would flex easier.

I haven't cast one, and that's what's holding me back. Anyone able to compare/contrast to the action of the BIIx ? I love that rod but I don't want to spend that much $$.

steve
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

The Hydros has a stiffer tip & butt section than the B2, the mid flex would also be a tad bit stiffer.
    The BIIX rods that i have fished & cast just didn't have the "umphhh" to push nymphs & indicators in the wind, i guess that's why they introduced the MX series.

Grumpy

Default Grumpy

How are you doing? Are you sure it is not the caster rather than the rod that causes that issue in the wind? I have both a BIIx and the MX. I made a mistake and grabed the BIIx when fishing the Yellowstone this fall. It is a good thing I was in a drift boat and did not have to cast too far. The wind was tough, and I did wish I had the MX. I still think the caster has a lot to do with it though. Need a lesson?

I know you have no idea who this is, but I will try to get by and see you this week sometime - as long as you understand I am just kidding. I don't want you to cast me.
    Don Winningham

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.

Don

I'm always open to tips, remembering them is the hard part.

Grumpy