Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Tying

I just started tying earlier this year when my wife gave me a Renzetti vice for my birthday present, so I haven't been tying very long.
    I'm interested in seeing flies & recipes that everyone is using. Hopefully, it will inspire me to try different things, and work on my execution.

I'd like to see photos of flies that work. Narcodog, I know that you recently joined the Forum, and I would be interested in seeing flies that you tie fishing in Up State New York.

Thanks

Bill

I haven't tried the flexible golden stone, but the other two work quite well.

Last edited by Heavynets; 12-14-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum View Post
    I just started tying earlier this year when my wife gave me a Renzetti vice for my birthday present, so I haven't been tying very long.
    I'm interested in seeing flies & recipes that everyone is using. Hopefully, it will inspire me to try different things, and work on my execution.

I'd like to see photos of flies that work. Narcodog, I know that you recently joined the Forum, and I would be interested in seeing flies that you tie fishing in Up State New York.

Thanks

Bill
    I can take pictures but I am not a picture poster. I usually email them to someone on the board and they post them for me.

If you want a great book for Catskill style dry flies look at Mike Valla's book Tying Catskill Style Dry Flies. Great book with great photo's.

narcodog-

Thanks for the book title, I'll try to find a copy of it.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Heavynets View Post
    I haven't tried the flexible golden stone, but the other two work quite well.

Not seeing anything, heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
    I'll stick with bird hunting for now. I tried an ant farm but it gave me calouses and those aren't fashionable. I don't like to hunt big game. Rabbit, bird, fish and the occasional beer are it for me.
    I was referring to deer season opening back up. Need to be more careful. BTW, if your dog likes to get "too far ahead" the birds will likely be long gone. Is he/she a bird dog (setter, pointer, lab, etc.)?
    Jason

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com

Quote Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
    I was referring to deer season opening back up. Need to be more careful. BTW, if your dog likes to get "too far ahead" the birds will likely be long gone. Is he/she a bird dog (setter, pointer, lab, etc.)?
    Ah yes, the deer hunters. Good point. I have plenty of orange for me and the dog though. Yeah, I knew about him getting too far ahead etc but I don't know much more than that so feel free to give me advice as I can always use it. My dog is a lab. He isn't bred for pointing, but I've seen him do it. I've only trained him in the basics up to but not including the flush, but at least I have something. We probably won't do well, but I like to go. BTW skipping the grouse this year and will try next fall. It's after the 10 year peak, but still close. I have scouted out some quail fields near my home and think I have a shot at one or two. They may be sitting too tight though with this weather. I will post pics either way. Here is my dog in a short youtube film I made of him last year (he's too far ahead, but I have a training collar now...he's going to be too old soon anyway, but I'll take him as long as he can go):

http://www.youtube.com/user/blueraid.../1/un-ZjHDolMk

Here's some stuff I been working on lately....

And here's a kyped-jaw North GA bow from the weekend.That's a size 6 bugger in his throat...

Holy cow...that box is way impressive. My first brassie of the year (it shows I did manage to glue that thread down with some head cement )

CB86-

Those are some nice flies. I like the way you were able to get the hackle spaced evenly around the thorax.

Please post more when you have a chance.

Bill