Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishin' Colorado 2011 - Need advise

Quote Originally Posted by rbaileydav View Post
    Email if you want more details.

DD
    DD, I have fished in a number of areas that you mentioned and even tried this crazy hike last summer:

We didn't have the same experience you did with fishing, possibly due to the front that moved and in and drenched us, or maybe because we were there in late August (notice there isn't any snow on the far peaks).

We did catch a few of these, but the water seemed like one long riffle. The intersecting stream was a tangled mess deadfall but did manage to fish very well...a bit smaller fish but lots more plunge pools to find them in...

Anyway, I'd like to compare notes with you, if you don't mind. I don't see your email posted anywhere on the forum here, so if you have a second and can drop me a line at petecz@charter.net, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks, Pete

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."

email sent ..... always like to talk about that area

Default Colorado

Have you fished the Taylor, or the East and the Tomichi If so I'm appreciate some feedback on these...Thanks Bob

Bob...I wil be in the Gunnison area in July. I was curios to see if you have found any info on Tomichi, Talor, or the East River. I will have acess to a small stretch on Tomichi but I would like to hit some of the other streams in the area as well.

Does anyone have any fly recommendations for late July in this area?

Default Go to the Dillon/Silverthorne area

Quote Originally Posted by fearnofishbob View Post
    Instead of our usual Montana trip this year we are thinking about Colorado. I fished the White river in'05 but don''t want to go back there.
    We're looking for a central location where we can head out each day to a variety of streams within an hours drive. We prefer small to medium size wadeable water that doesn't have a ton of pressure. We'll be there for 7-10 days ....Anyone got any suggestions ...Breckenridge ? Silverthorne ? Gunnison ? Estes Park ?

Sure would appreciate any input Thanks
    Check out the Dillon/Sliverthorne area - you'll catch a lot of fish in all types of water. You do not need a guide - just a good map of the area. I have fished the area (2005, 2007 and 2010) and caught hundreds of fish using a "never sink caddis - pheasant tail dropper" rig.

Default Decision Made

I really appreciate everyones input. We finally decided on the Gunnison area, we found a cabin on a 500 acre ranch with a mile of the Tomichi we can call our own for 2 weeks. We will venture south toward the Durango area and fish there as well.
    Everyone has been really helpful and when we get back I'll try to post a report. My user CP says I can'y post pics so ...don't know how I'll get around that.
    Trip starts the 1st of August

THANKS............Bob

I hope runoff will be over by then. Most streams in the state are really blown up, due to 200 to 350 percent snowpack and a long extremely cool spring. The Streams in the south central Front Range are fairing better, but are still pretty high. I fished the S. Platte at the Dream Stream at 550 CFS yesterday, there were fish to be had but conditions were difficult. Have'nt heard reports from the Gunnison area but the Frying Pan is at 25,000 CFS.

Another 3 weeks might do the trick. Not trying to be a downer, just wanted to let you know what I have seen first hand out here so you can prepare yourself. Last year I did a mid June trip out that way, rivers were blown so used my Gazeteer and found small streams to fish for Cutts and Brooks.

Have a Good 'Urn,
    bones

Thanks Bones, always good to get some fresh info. I too hope the runoff will be about gone when we get there in August. I haven't talked to any fly shop people in a month or so. I might make some calls and get some idea about conditions..
    .....Thanks again