Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Hooks

Default Small Hooks

This week-end I attended a FF show, and a guy was selling hooks at a booth from sizes 22-30! What small hooks, there is NO way that I could ever tye a fly that small. Any one out there tye flies that small?

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Yep. down to 32's. I tie them mostly for the Davidson and usually in red.

I also have some Mustad 277's 32's that are actually smaller than Tiemco's 32. I have not tied on those and most likely will not. At about a value of $10.00 per hook that could get expensive quickly.

I tie down to #28...but thats just because I haven't bought any smaller... Gotta love small flies!!!
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I believe the smallest I have tied is a #26, and routinely use 22 - 24's on the Clinch and SoHo in the winter and early spring.

How many of you guys use tiny flies with success on the freestone streams up there (like in the park)? We have good success here in North GA with 20's-24's, especially on highly pressured, catch and release waters. Don't see a lot of midges mentioned in reports unless it's a tailwater. Have always wandered if anyone fishes them in the park.

I've tied some midges down to 28 or maybe 30, but haven't had a chance to fish them yet. You have to make every wrap of thread count, too many wraps builds up quick on those small hooks.

I assume you went to the Indy FF show? How was it?

I use 22 and 24s when they are called for in the national park. Late fall and early sping the BWOs come off and they are very small. Also almost every evening in the summer at every large flat pool on the Little fish can be taken with midges. Dont do much casting, watch for a rise and work for a single fish at a time. I love it.

I don't tie much below a 22 or 24. I very seldom fish midges, even though, I carry them in my flybox. A suggestion to those of you who do is to tie on a wider gap hook- maybe a small scud hook. The wider gap will help you hold the fish. I had problem on the Bighorn a few years ago with flies pulling out of the mouth the fight. I switched to a wide gap scud hook for a small midge larvae, caught lots of fish and didn't have the hook pulling out problem.

Randall Sale
    the Kytroutbum
    Last edited by Kytroutbum; 01-11-2011 at 03:05 PM.

I tied down to #24 for midges. I do some gnats at #22. Anything above #24 is not something I want to fish with or that I care to fish. I have fumbling fingers and I do not enjoy trying to tie the small ones.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”