Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muskey Fishing on the Caney Fork

Question Muskey Fishing on the Caney Fork

I saw Kelly Gallop fishing for Muskey on the Caney Fork this morning on Fly Fish TV.
    Has anyone done this? This was the first I had heard of Musky Fishing up there.

Not sure but I think my boss has fished for them. Generally have to throw out a fly with some size on it though.

Default muskie on the Caney

I saw that same program. I wrote down the guide's name, Todd Gregory, and found his web site here:
    http://www.collinsriverguides.com/index.html

Really looks like a fun trip.

I've heard of people catching them on the upper Caney...above Center Hill Lake.

There are a lot more Muskie in Tennessee than most people know about. Aside from the Collins, Caney, Emory etc from the Plateau, the Nolichucky and Clinch River systems some nice sized Muskie as well.
    Last edited by TNBigBore; 01-18-2011 at 11:39 AM.

I was wading below the dam once and saw what I thought was a large gar. Looking back now it could have been a musky. I am not familiar with that sort of fish. I saw it and watched it a little while. It was just above the stairs on river left.

There's a photo somewhere on the board here of a Muskie caught above Center Hill. 2-3 yrs ago I think.

Steve
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by TNBigBore View Post
    There are a lot more Muskie in Tennessee than most people know about. Aside from the Collins, Caney, Emory etc from the Plateau, the Nolichucky and Clinch River systems some nice sized Muskie as well.
    About 30 years ago my father caught one on the Hiwassee below Charleston/Calhoun. 28 pounds. At that time talked to some commercial fishermen and they said they would show up on occasion.

Muskie are being stocked regularly by TWRA and they are very abundant in East Tennessee. However; they are very hard to catch with traditional methods and you have to have very durable hardware. I know most of the bait fisherman are using wire and bite-tippet. Here is a picture of one caught this past weekend that pushes the state record. I was planning on trying for one this week with a fly rod in this same spot. However; I am not sure if my equipment would hold up to landing one.

“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

That's a hoss for sure but fly equipment can handle them just fine. All you need is a rod big enough to cast the flies required. I've never hooked one that big on the fly but have had several in the 40" range landed and plenty below that. It's not the tackle that is the issue, it is the arm of the caster that usually fails before the day is done. Give it a go. I can't think of anything more fun than watching a musky follow the fly as you strip it in faster and faster.