Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking & flyfishing

I ordered a couple of fly rod blanks last night. I don't really need any new rods, but that isn't the point right Need something to get through February, January was a bear (no pun intended)

Neal

Thank goodness for scrap booking
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Yeah I feel ya I too am ready to get out and do some backpacking in the Spring however this year I think most of it will be done during the week last Spring I made the mistake of going to#50 on Bradley Fork there were 5 of us fly fishers at that site the next morning I awoke early to head way upstream only to be greeted by another 5-8 fishermen that were staying at Smokemont. Backcountry fly fishing is awesome. but I plan on doing some trips during the week and way in the backcountry to beat the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Ok, I have checked my back packing list about as many times as we had snow this winter. I have already re-weighted everything on my packing list and it all weights exactly the same as the last time.
    Mac I'm just curious what does all your gear weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
    Yeah I feel ya I too am ready to get out and do some backpacking in the Spring however this year I think most of it will be done during the week last Spring I made the mistake of going to#50 on Bradley Fork there were 5 of us fly fishers at that site the next morning I awoke early to head way upstream only to be greeted by another 5-8 fishermen that were staying at Smokemont. Backcountry fly fishing is awesome. but I plan on doing some trips during the week and way in the backcountry to beat the crowds.
    I always go during the week. I see very few other folks during the week.
    Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.

Talking

It is snowing outside right now. This should be a good one to start people talking and making comparisons. My wife says i am only allowed to bring up backpacking and fly fishing once a day anymore.

6 Days 5 nights packing list:

So far 35 pounds 14oz for 6 days 5 nights.

The key to it all for me and my brother is going to the gym all winter long and getting rid of the Thanksgivin and Xmas belly weight.
    Last edited by Mac; 01-29-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Very nice list Mac!
    Be careful putting too much faith in that Houdini jacket in heavy rain.
    Mine has fooled me more than once.

Well done MAC! you got me beat I'm 29-35 for an over nighter but I usually carry a soft side cooler with 5-6 beers and some Jim Beam in a platypuss bag. I carry Aqua mira drops to treat water my pack weighs 2lbs it's a ULA Circuit I have a western Mountaineering bag it's 1lb 8 o/zs when I take my Hennesey Hammock it's 2lbs and I also have a tarp tent moment that is 2lbs but when I use the tent I have to carry the Thermarest which weighs a pound either way my big four is right around 7lbs .

I have a custom made tube for my rod I have a Orvis Helios which is very light I use my Temple Fork sock cause it's way lighter I carry Simms waders,my net, and a vest and I am hoping to be able to save the weight of wading boots by hiking in my new Korker Chromes they seem comfortable enough however I'm not sure on big mileage haven't tried them yet I have a Evernew 1.3 litre pot and I use a alcohol stove.

I will play around with some things here in the next few days and toss my pack on the postal scale and see what we got. I must say you sound like you know what your doing I'm impressed great list!

So spotlight your pack and all your gear is about 10lbs and the other 25 lbs is extra alcohol for your "stove" hehe.

Well add a MP3 player,saw, some extra clothes and it adds up, but yeah I always have enough stove fuel so to speak! You know this from past experience.