Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Backpacking & flyfishing

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    6 Days 5 nights packing list:

NERD ALERT! NERD ALERT!

Just kidding! I like it.

Spotlight - I too am a fan of the soft cooler. When it warms up we may need to get a trip together...
    Jason

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com

Mac, I didn't see a generator and HDTV.

The trick is to camp near or by someone else who carried in the extra luxury items (who is willing to share) you eliminated due to weight concerns. LOL

Lee

Grannyknot - I take the Houdini only when there is not much chance for rain for the week. One or two days out of six at most. Any more bad weather forecast than that I move up on something with more protection meaning weighting more usually closer to 14oz.

Spotlight – I would love to have the Moment or Contrail tarptent for when I mights have to go to ground. Might have to ask for one of these for xmas next year.

GrouseMan77 – Nerd maybe, my wife says OCD for sure. Way too much time this winter and Duck hunting season is almost over. February is really going to get long.

Knothead – I had that on my list - IPhone4, includes GPS with USGS Mapping, Camera, Video Camera, backup flashlight, WebMD app – just in case, Podcast, Movies, Music, Knot tying guide app, and a Fly fishing game app.

501 – extra items, that is why I take by younger bigger brother on all my backcountry trips.

It’s not a passion it’s an obsession , glad everyone has enjoyed my list.

Most of my backcountry trips are around 4 miles one way...idea is to set up a base camp to fish surrounding area without having to walk in and out every day to get to different water...trip in is always energized with anticipation which allows for little extra weight usually in the food and drink areas...I enjoy breakfast and dinners in camp and don't scrimp on these comforts...always end up with a lighter load going out which is also downhill....creature comforts at my age will usually outweigh the extra weight for a short time.

Mac
    Having hiked extensively I have been thru ruthlessly lightweight gear and been
    grossly overburdened by too much gear. Generally, I go as light as possible on
    longer hike only trips but tend to sneak in more creature comfort items for shorter, less mileage trips. Also, I have a 6'4 son (who tells me he is tough) who can double as a pack mule!

Lee