Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Message Board Trout Picture

Most trout have vibrant color if you can mask the polarization of the light on their slime-skin. Early morning lighting and late evening lighting are the best times to thwart polarization and to capture true color. Using a nice SLR correctly will give you great results too!

The key to getting good photographs on water is to mask polarization. I usually take several different photographs at different angles to try and overcome this problem.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
    Most trout have vibrant color if you can mask the polarization of the light on their slime-skin. Early morning lighting and late evening lighting are the best times to thwart polarization and to capture true color. Using a nice SLR correctly will give you great results too!

The key to getting good photographs on water is to mask polarization. I usually take several different photographs at different angles to try and overcome this problem.
    Shawn,
    You are correct about the polarization. When carrying my DSLR on the water, which is probably 90% of the time, I have my circular polarizer attached. However, when carrying my compact point-n-shoot a simple trick is to place your polarized sunglasses over the front lens to reduce the glare on your subject.

Also, generally you get better color and contrast from holding your fish in the shade, and not snapping a picture at a 90 degree angle to the most vibrant colors. Generally when shooting at a 90 degree angle to the most vibrant colored side of the fish, the ambient lighting is being reflected off the fish and washes out the colors. Simply rotating the fish and shooting from a non-direct angle allows the colors to really pop.

Quote Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
    Shawn,
    You are correct about the polarization. When carrying my DSLR on the water, which is probably 90% of the time, I have my circular polarizer attached. However, when carrying my compact point-n-shoot a simple trick is to place your polarized sunglasses over the front lens to reduce the glare on your subject.

Also, generally you get better color and contrast from holding your fish in the shade, and not snapping a picture at a 90 degree angle to the most vibrant colors. Generally when shooting at a 90 degree angle to the most vibrant colored side of the fish, the ambient lighting is being reflected off the fish and washes out the colors. Simply rotating the fish and shooting from a non-direct angle allows the colors to really pop.
    Thanks Travis! I do not have a nice DSLR at the moment. However; I would probably destroy it considering my camera experience. I went through three cameras last year.

I will try your sunglass trick next time I am out. I am curious to see if it will work better with my compact camera. Thanks!
    SM
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”