Thread: Tying flies again Thanks JoeFred

Default Tying flies again Thanks JoeFred

I would like to thank fellow board member JoeFred for his, and my brother in laws giving spirit during the Christmas season. It took me a couple of months to redeem my Christmas present, but I now have a new vise to continue my habit of wasting thread.
    JF I will be sending you an email soon about getting together for a maybe a Spring fishing trip.
    There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Brook Fan, your set up looks great and the thought of us fishing in the spring again is especially so.

JF

PS. I like the photos in the photo.
    “Joe” Fred Turner
    Southern Appalachian Stream Maps sasMaps.com
    Formerly SmokyStreams.com

Nice set up. I'm green with envy!

flybum62
    Thanks
    It's amazing what a power sander and some stain can to do to a desk. My goal this year is to find an old wood chair in a yard sale to repair to complete the set.

JF
    You will be happy to know that Jonah likes to watch the Saturday morning fishing shows with his dad. I feel the force is strong in this one. However, I'm not going deep sea fishing with anyone named Jonah.
    There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Is that an Anvil vise? They are made in a town nearby and I am thinking about buying one. How do you like it?

Yes, It's an Anvil vise (Apex model) and I really like it so far. I've had it about a week and I've tied several flies on it and have no complaints with the grasping or rotation functions. I would recommend.

Default About that Anvil....

Quote Originally Posted by ahighlan View Post
    Is that an Anvil vise? They are made in a town nearby and I am thinking about buying one. How do you like it?
    I have a new Anvil as well and really like it...but if you have a chance to lay your hands on it before you buy it, I recommend that you check the thumbscrew that adjusts the tension on the rotation... it seems that mine had been overtightened and has a "bump" in the rotation out of the box, which tends to loosen up the rotation on its own after a few revolutions.
    I'm hoping some use will smooth it out some...If not I plan on contacting anvil.
    Otherwise....I really have no complaints.! Love it Hold hooks like a champ, and I ALWAYS put way too much tension on the shank with thread....hasnt pulled one yet.

Anvil is made in Columbus, IN. My in-laws live there. The vise comes with a C-clamp & a base.

Ahighlan my email is : smallstreamfisher@hotmail.com contact me!

Quote Originally Posted by Brook Fan View Post
    Yes, It's an Anvil vise (Apex model) and I really like it so far. I've had it about a week and I've tied several flies on it and have no complaints with the grasping or rotation functions. I would recommend.
    Ed of Bass Pro Shops Sevierville store fly shop considers this vice one of the best for its price range.

JF
    “Joe” Fred Turner
    Southern Appalachian Stream Maps sasMaps.com
    Formerly SmokyStreams.com

Well I have caught spring fever thanks to my new vice. For the first time I went fishing with a fly that I tied. Never had before, because I was afraid they would come apart in the water. I fished the same streamer for about a hour and a half and it still looks good enough to place back in my box. While I landed no fish the water was clear enough that I could watch the movement and sparkle of my streamer. The pattern looks good and the fish will eventually come.