Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Things are looking up

Default Report: Things are looking up

Made it out today after the demo for a few hours of fishing. Chose to focus my efforts on the smaller waters and tributaries of LR. Started off a little slow with a heavy stonefly nymph (for weight) and a zebra midge. Then it happened.......

I saw a lone blue quill ascend from the surface of a pool just downstream of a riffle. So, I immediately switched over to a #16 flashback pheasant tail, and it was game on. In nearly every good looking run I would get a take. My landing-to-strike ratio was way too low, and I was probably close to 20% today. Had one big fella take my nymph as I drifted it just inches from a rock wall, and he immediately rocketed downstream. Never even got a look at him, as he came unbuttoned pretty quickly. Never saw another blue quill or a single rise. However, I hope this report helps to brighten the mood of some of you out there anxiously awaiting Spring. Here are a couple pics from the day:

Last edited by ChemEAngler; 02-20-2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Pictures edited to show watermark

Thanks for the report Travis, sounds like you had a fun time.

It's posts like this one that are helping me put the pieces of this fly fishing puzzle together. Thanks for sharing Travis.

Great pics. as always!

Shannon

Travis,

Thanks for the report. Nice to see things warming up in the mountains early this year. I need to get down that way, haven't been since the middle of November.

Neal

Sweet fish Travis, they look like little jewels- I am green with envy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice, man. I am heading to GSMNP Tuesday for a few days and nights. I am hoping to meet Mr. Grandpa Brown again, he broke me off last time we met.
    Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.

I'm glad you got a few, I fished all day and landed ZERO I only had one small strike and missed it I will just call it casting practice. But it sure was a nice day to be out there.

Nice pictures and report, Travis. I haven't fished since Thanksgiving. Apparently I've forgotten everything I knew. Fished 1/2 day from Metcalfe to Elkmont, SKUNKED!

Thumbs up

Nice Pictures Travis!
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Nice pics Travis. Glad you had some luck and got to get on the water!
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Excellent Travis!
    I drove past that area on Saturday and saw 1 lone fisherman working beside the road. You weren't driving a Jeep Grand Wagoneer were you?
    My wife and I hiked the Anthony Creek Trail that afternoon. I fished for maybe 30 minutes with my little 8 piece fiberglass pack rod. Had 4 takes and 1 to hand. I didn't see any bugs, but I was having luck with quill gordon wet flies.