Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transporting Rods?????

Default Transporting Rods?????

So, how do you guys transport your rods when flying? (Carry-on/ checked baggage)

What rod bags/tubes do you like for this type traveling?

Looks like we will have 3 fly rods to take, all being 4 piece.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Knik View Post
    So, how do you guys transport your rods when flying? (Carry-on/ checked baggage)

What rod bags/tubes do you like for this type traveling?

Looks like we will have 3 fly rods to take, all being 4 piece.

Thanks in advance.
    I tend to carry them on.

I use pvc lined tubes/fabric cases and carry them on. Have the reels off and be ready to open up the case to show the rod and reels if screened. Check you air carrier to make sure your rod case will fit in the upper carriage holder. They will not let you hold it in flight. However; they will take it up front to the flight attendant station and hold it until you disembark.

I hope that helps!
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

By all means, carry them on!

A couple of years ago, my wife & I flew to Maine to fish the Kennebec for a week. When we got back home, and I checked the rods, the baggage handlers must have dropped the rod case because the reel seat on my 5 wt rod was broken. i was able to repair it with SuperGlu, but what if that had happened on the way up there?

Never again.

Thanks for the info guys.

First "fly" trip for me and sure don't want to screw it up.

I have always carried them on and have never had any trouble even flying with 9' 2pc. rods. I would check with the airlines before you go and even then it seems for some, it is up to whoever is working that day. It looks kind of strange but I have traveled a few times with three aluminum rod tubes duck taped together. It gets some strange looks but I've never had any trouble.

Thanks for the reply Greg, nice site and rods!

Guess I need to make some phone calls to the airlines.

If it does not fit in the overhead; they will ask you to let them hold it in the stewardess station. Flown an insane amount of times with my rods. I usually get asked if it is a pool stick.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Knik,
    As an alternative to carry on I have shipped rods and tackle by UPS. I send it 3 day select and try to have a contact person watching for it on the other end. I insure heavily. This may be overkill and unnecessary unless you carry a lot of gear(compared to carry on). One reassuring advantage is that I already know my gear is there before I even leave home. You also don't have to worry
    about whether your checked baggage switches planes when you do. I've never had anything lost.

Lee

In the past I packed the fly rods in a large wheeled duffel bag. The rods would be in the manufacturer's tube (standard green cordura over plastic tube). I never had any problems but the theft loss potential always worried me. Last year (2010) I started using a carry-on case made by Fish Pond:

http://www.fishpondusa.com/dakota-reel-case.cfm

Unfortunately, two of my favorite rods would not fit in the Fish Pond case due to rod section lengths exceeding the case interior length. I eventually found an Orvis equivalent which is 2" longer:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...subcat_id=8964

The manufacturers' literature claim 4 or 6 rod capacity (rod in sock) but I have personally found that I can load up to 9 rods & reels in either case. Typical rods I carry when traveling are 3-7 wt.