Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Green Weenie??

I certainly would not consider that fly to be a streamer. Looks like a good fly to me, but I haven't tried it myself.

I actually did a tutorial for one of my favorite versions of this fly for the Little River Journal a while back. My favorite version is tied with furry foam for the body, no bead, and no loop for the tail. This one is the typical Chenille body tied with the loop in the tail on a Mustad 9671 hook.

Last edited by flyman; 03-17-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: 42
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Green weenies are like opinions, everyone has one and they are all different.

I like mine on a TMC 200R type of hook with a bead head, and I use a natural olive or dark green chenille for it. Worked great all summer, and even into November. I think it looks like a lot more than just an inch worm. Maybe caddis larva, green rockworms, who knows.
    Do not forget the loop tail. After watching that fly in the water flipping around, rolling, and twisting because of the current catching that tail I am convinced it helps make the fly more enticing. But again, thats just an opinion coming from a guy who has yet to catch a fish on a pheasant tail nymph

Quote Originally Posted by flyman View Post
    I actually did a tutorial for one of my favorite versions of this fly for the Little River Journal a while back. My favorite version is tied with furry foam for the body, no bead, and no loop for the tail. This one is the typical Chenille body tied with the loop in the tail on a Mustad 9671 hook.
    That is some good looking chenille and I love the colored bead. Here are a few I have tied and use. The second one is really a minnow fly; but, essentially a weenie pattern. I modified DC's Baby Doll Pattern to tie it.

“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

As I dont have a conversion chart for the different manufacturers hook numbers, I can't tell what size hooks you guys are tying on. How about sharing the actual hook sizes #12's #8's etc.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by limestonespl View Post
    As I dont have a conversion chart for the different manufacturers hook numbers, I can't tell what size hooks you guys are tying on. How about sharing the actual hook sizes #12's #8's etc.
    Harry

Go with the 12.
    Jason

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com