Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slick rock 3/18

Pardon my ignorance, where is slick rock??
    Thanks
    DW

Thanks for a great report. The photos make me want to plan a trip up there.

fishermen00...its in the Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness Area of the Nantahala National Forest... the lower end dumps into Calderwood Lake...one of the access points is via trail from a parking lot near Cheoah Dam.

On the portion of the stream that NC/TN share a boundary, either state license will suffice. Further up, where it goes into NC, a NC license is required.

Joelo, I actually met two guys that had been over there for the past three months working on a bridge over a creek from the trail that comes from Cheoh dam. He said the trail was not much better but, the bridge was nice. They were camped at the mouth of the creek and when I asked how long they had been there the oldest man said "bout 3 months". I thought he was pulling my leg and then he went into detail about how the ice locked their boat in the creek and how they tracked a bobcat for a week in the snow. Every night he came down to their camp and the tracks got a little closer every time. They never saw him either.

I've wondered at what point on that creek that your required to have a N.C. license. Do you have a land mark or split that would indicate it?

FishnHunt, if you come in at Big Fat Gap ... trail #41 then over to #42 (tough hike out if I remember correctly) you hit Slickrock from the NC side...looks like about 0.5 miles downstream to the shared boundary. It looks like trail #139 comes in from the other side of the creek where the creek leaves the shared boundary. As far as a landmark, you're in NC once you get above where Big Stack Gap Branch joins Slickrock Creek.

From the lake, it looks like you have about 3.5 miles of shared boundary before the creek heads into NC.

Quote Originally Posted by JoelO View Post
    fishermen00...its in the Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness Area of the Nantahala National Forest... the lower end dumps into Calderwood Lake...one of the access points is via trail from a parking lot near Cheoah Dam.

On the portion of the stream that NC/TN share a boundary, either state license will suffice. Further up, where it goes into NC, a NC license is required.

Thanks, I did a little research after I posted my request and thought I found it. Looks like a great place to take the son once he gets a little older.