Thread: Holston Question

Default Holston Question

Does anyone know, or have a good idea, of how long it takes for water to reach / draindown to the I-40 bridge?
    Trevor

Trevor, this is a good queston that has been posed before http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=14887
    but with no answer dug up. I will pursue in the next few weeks as I plan to do a map of the tailwater.

In the late 90s, John Thurman and Buzz Buffington, affilated with the Clinch River Chapter of TU, working with Bill Proctor, a civil engineer at the TVA Engineering Lab, developed drain-down graphs and tables for the Clinch tailwater (see post no. 4 by fourx in the oher thread for more info). It might require this same approach to develop good drain-down info for the Holston. Securing the services of TVA might be a bit more challenging in our current economic climate.
    “Joe” Fred Turner
    Southern Appalachian Stream Maps sasMaps.com
    Formerly SmokyStreams.com

Thanks for the info, JoeFred. Let me know what you find out. In thinking about this, if I can just get data on drain down and travel times at some well known places (nances ferry, indian cave, etc), I estimate the distances via google earth and possibly develop a very rough equation to model drain down and travel at any distance along the river. It wouldn't be terribly accurate, but would at least give a time window in which to verify the actual times. Right now I have no clue how long it would take. So, would someone who knows be willing to provide draindown and travel times for some other areas?
    Trevor

It takes approximately 5 hrs to reach Nances Ferry w/ all 4 units pushing,longer to drain down.This scenario would usually occur in the winter when they generate for longer periods .
    Unlike Norris, Cherokee has 4 units & to attempt to get a similar chart would be difficult,because of how they bring the units up & down.
    The South Holston is simple to figure because of one generator .

Steve-
    On a complete side note: Is that a sea-run brown in your avatar photo? Tierra del Fuego?
    That is a fishing story in itself.

4X

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fourx View Post
    Steve-
    On a complete side note: Is that a sea-run brown in your avatar photo? Tierra del Fuego?
    That is a fishing story in itself.

4X
    Yes.......