Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breathability of Simms G3 waders?

Steve,

I use the neoprene wet wading guards, a pair of wool socks underneath those, keeps my feet warm even when the get wet and helps protect your lower ankles etc. I only use waders in the Park in very early spring. I wet waded last November at Elkmont, everyone else was in waders and looking at me like I was nuts It was a little cool sometimes, but I abhor wearing waders in the Park since I usually hike and fish. Not a good deal in waders IMO.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
    So you guys who wet wade, do you use the short "guard socks" as Simms calls them, under your normal boots?

steve
    Like Grouseman, DP, and Neal I wet wade most of the year in the smokies by choice. Not sure what the simms guard socks are probably some neoprene that fold down over the wading boots to keep rocks out I guess. If thats the case I would say yes to your question Steve. I usually wear a pear of simms neoprene type socks its all you need for warmth. SometimesI will just wear wool socks if I can't find the simms socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
    So you guys who wet wade, do you use the short "guard socks" as Simms calls them, under your normal boots?
    http://littleriveroutfitters.com/sto...at=1100&page=1

This is a link to Chotas version...the Simms version is not in the catalog. Like Pineman said, wear a pair of wool socks ( I like thicker Smartwool), the booties and your wading boots. Your feet will get wet but it's not really a big deal. I usually cover a lot of ground and have never been uncomfortable or gotten any blisters.

Leave the waders for the tailwaters and to those looking for a heat stroke. Be cool don't be a fool!
    Last edited by GrouseMan77; 05-27-2011 at 05:27 PM.
    Jason

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com

Thanks guys. I've always used hippers in the mountain streams, and regular waders in the tailwaters. Picked up a pair of the Simms guard socks today. Now I just need some free time to get wet.

steve
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau