Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cicadas

Default Cicadas

Finally talked a good friend of mine to join me and another friend to fish during the waning cicada emergence. There were few fish still rising to cicadas, but he did find this one.
    "Here fishy fishy."

NICE!

Congrats to your friend.

Wow really nice! where is this from?

Caney Fork, but it is just about over. I doubt there will be many cicadas around by the weekend. The drop off in activity between Monday and Wednesday was very noticeable.
    "Here fishy fishy."

Quote Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
    Caney Fork, but it is just about over. I doubt there will be many cicadas around by the weekend. The drop off in activity between Monday and Wednesday was very noticeable.
    Cool deal! congrats to your buddy!

They certainly were fun this year, just like the past emergences. I didn't chase trout, but have had a ball the past month on the lake catching carp cruising and gobbling them up like crazy.

Cicada action is an absolute bucket list item for a fly fisherman. I have never done the trout side of it, but the carp fishing is something to behold.

Now we just have to wait around 10 years for the next one.

I wonder how many fly fisherman had no clue it was happening the past month? I bet 90% or more never even knew.

Default Caney Cicadas

My wife and I floated the Caney from the Dam to Happy Hollow. I didn't do a lot of fishing but what little I did was productive. I caught only 2 fish, a 14 inch Brook and a rainbow that was about 16-18 inches, both on cicada flies that my friend tied for me. Met several nice folks on the river. All in all a great day. Here are a couple of pics of the rainbow. One in the water and one right before I turned him/her loose. A beautiful fish.

I am p&^% poor on computers. I can't attach pictures, and I thought I edited this to say that, but apparently not. If someone can tell me how to attache pictures from photobucket, I will. Thanks.

This site will tell you when and where the next brood is due to hatch.

http://magicicada.org/about/brood_pages/broods.php

At the bottom of the forum topics under "Website and Message Board" Paula has a sticky at the top expaining much better than I can how to post a pic. You can preview the message before you post it to be sure your pic is there.
    "Here fishy fishy."

There still may be an opportunity in the southeast part of the state. It seems the emergence was later there and they hang around for about 3 weeks or so after they emerge. Maybe the Hiwassee has them, but don't know for sure. It's the best opportunity to catch a big fish that otherwise would not likely be feeding on top. I made three trips and had a blast. Just wish the Caney had gotten wadeable earlier in the hatch. Link to map, just scroll down.
    http://web.utk.edu/~extepp/cicada/Cicadapage.htm
    "Here fishy fishy."