Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Fly Fishing Magazine

The Drake hands down. It's not an instructional magazine but has great stories and a unique perspective on fly fishing. Not the uppity snob type vibes of most fly fishing magazines. Besides, there's only so much you can learn from reading a magazine over and over. I've read most of them and they seem to get very redundant.
    "I've got to stop wishin, I've got to go fishin"

Quote Originally Posted by ahighlan View Post
    I haven't found magazines to be very helpful as far as tactics and techniques. They tend to explore topics at a somewhat superficial level or rehash the same old things.

I've learned mostly by reading forums online, reading books, and listening to podcasts. The Itinerant Angler(my favorite), Ask Ask About Fly Fishing(host is meh, but has great guests on), and the Orvis one(Tom Rosenbauer) are good podcasts. All are on iTunes. It would take you several weeks, if not months, to listen to all the content available from these three.

Some good magazines to check out are The Drake and The Flyfish Journal. I also get Eastern Fly Fishing occasionally for local content. I think Fly Rod and Reel is the best of the more popular magazines. I've been wanting to get my hands on Gray's Sporting Journal, but I haven't been able to find it locally.
    Thanks for the info on the podcasts. Seems to be a wealth of info there. I downloaded all you mentioned.
    John 3:16

Check out this site:

www.midcurrent.com

They have some how good info and it is updated daily. Best of all it is free.

Lots of free one's out there on the internet as some have mentioned. I prefer Eastern FF, The Drake and then FR&R after that. If you are just starting you should look at ChemAngler's Blog...lots of info there imo. Plateau Anglers blog is good too. Read through their older blog posts too. The best way to learn to fish is go with a really good guide like Mr. Hartsell, Rutter, etc. Those guys can take a couple of years off the learning curve. I wasted a lot of trips to the mountains trying to figure things out myself.

Birdman, I've been fishing the Smokies for 50+ years and If you are coming to that area please drop me a line and I'd be tickled to spend a day with you. I fish the Smokies 2-3 time each week and would love to try to help.
    You can reach me via a PM or email me at fearnofishbob@att.net..
    I'd be delighted to help...

Thumbs up Kindness!

Quote Originally Posted by fearnofishbob View Post
    Birdman, I've been fishing the Smokies for 50+ years and If you are coming to that area please drop me a line and I'd be tickled to spend a day with you. I fish the Smokies 2-3 time each week and would love to try to help.
    That is very nice of you fearnofishbob to be so kind and help someone pick up our passion! So, in return; I offer my time and boat to you on the Clinch River! Just give me a shout...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
    ...... The best way to learn to fish is go with a really good guide like Mr. Hartsell, Rutter, etc. Those guys can take a couple of years off the learning curve..... .
    I completely agree if you are looking to bring your techniques to a new level. I endorse Hugh Hartsell because of his kind approach to helping people learn, his great flies, and his fly fishing credentials on the water.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

google on your pc

Quote Originally Posted by fearnofishbob View Post
    Thanks so much fearnofishbob! I can't thank you enough for the offer. Next time I get back home I will definitely get in touch with you.

Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
    That is very nice of you fearnofishbob to be so kind and help someone pick up our passion! So, in return; I offer my time and boat to you on the Clinch River! Just give me a shout...

I completely agree if you are looking to bring your techniques to a new level. I endorse Hugh Hartsell because of his kind approach to helping people learn, his great flies, and his fly fishing credentials on the water.
    Hat's off to you as well, MadisonBoats! Too bad I did't get into fly fishing when I had Mr. Hartsell in the next town over.