Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you use

Question What would you use

If you cold have only one fly rod combo for the Smokies what length and weight would you use? This would only be for the Smokies.

11ft, Iwana Tenkara.

8' 6'' 4wt.

A 10' seasoned cane pole with 4# test fishing line. There is really no need to even have a fly rod and reel up there in most areas. All you have to do is lob and drop; repeat.... Most of the documentaries I have watched on fisherman who have fished the Smokies for the past 40+ years use this technique.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

My preference is a 7'-6" 2-wt. But that is just me. Most of my Smokies fishing is during the spring, summer, and fall when fish are active. So, I rarely break out the 4 or 5 wt for the mountains except in late fall, winter, and early spring when I will be throwing big heavy indicator rigs.

Just my opinion.

These kinds of questions are asked on here all the time, and the variation in responses is always very wide. Each person has their own fishing style, and it is in your best interest to try and find out what your style is and just go with it.

I use either a 8.5 ft 4 wt or a 7.5 ft 3 wt., depends on the stream.

If I could only have one, I'd go with the 7.5 ft 3 wt.
    Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.

8' 4wt but really need two rods for the Park. Larger streams with big browns are best fished with a 9' 5 wt or fast action 4 wt...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Deadly
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
    My preference is a 7'-6" 2-wt. But that is just me. Most of my Smokies fishing is during the spring, summer, and fall when fish are active. So, I rarely break out the 4 or 5 wt for the mountains except in late fall, winter, and early spring when I will be throwing big heavy indicator rigs.

Just my opinion.

These kinds of questions are asked on here all the time, and the variation in responses is always very wide. Each person has their own fishing style, and it is in your best interest to try and find out what your style is and just go with it.
    Well put! I hope I did not seem condescending in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by flyman View Post
    Deadly
    Flyman, I had one of these growing up and I would use it on the Clinch. It was easy to tie to my bicycle handlebars and it would go everywhere with me. I think the handle ended up falling off...
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

The question makes for great campfire debate but never really comes to an agreeable solution by those debating. Sort of like what is the best hunting rifle? Being not local I usually carry a bunch of them from 6.5 to 9 ft., 2 to 5 wt. Heck I sometimes fish a rod just because I want to, regardless of the situation. Part of the fun is having more than one rod and constantly trying to figure out what would make the perfect rod. Sorry I kinda deviated off the subject but........................

Lee