Thread: Help

Default Help

Not sure this is the appropriate section for this but I wasn't sure where else to put it. I often have problems with my tippet getting twisted after throwing a wooly booger or other streamer.

Sometimes I can fish for an hour or more slinging streamers and nothing ever twists up and other times after 3 or 4 cast my tippet is so twisted it is beyond fixable. Does anyone else ever have this problem? Could it be that my tippet is too light? Is it something to do with the way I am casting? If anyone could provide any insight or suggestions into the matter I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tnflyguy View Post
    Could it be that my tippet is too light?
    Yes! Without knowing what size hook yo're using, i'd say that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Yes! Without knowing what size hook yo're using, i'd say that's the problem.
    ^
    What this guy said.... he knows a bit about throwing some flies.

Possibly too long and or too light of a leader tippet combo for that size woolly.

Tight Lines,

Go up in tippet size or slow down your casting stroke just a tad. Spin alot of times comes as a result from really forcing the rod, rather then letting the rod work for you. Also, try to not false cast, or false cast only once.

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    Go up in tippet size or slow down your casting stroke just a tad. Spin alot of times comes as a result from really forcing the rod, rather then letting the rod work for you. Also, try to not false cast, or false cast only once.
    Completely agree with this point. Also; you can try a rapala knot and put 2-3 snell wraps on the fly side of the knot to thwart line wrapping.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

"Limpness" of leader material makes a big difference regardless of tippet size; some materials are better than others. Try Maxima for streamer leaders.

Thanks All,
    I will definitely being trying these suggestions!