Thread: North River

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default North River

Fished North River this weekend. I try to make it up there at least 2-3 times a year. I did very well despite the low water catching around 6-8 nice bows and a few brookies in just under an hour. I fished a nice stretch of likely water. I was hoping, as always, for a brown trout. I have never cought a brown trout on the North River. I have caught a few on Tellico over the years but they are very rare. Has anyone ever had any luck with brown trout on the North or Bald rivers lately?

I caught a very small one on the bald this past spring. Caught a decent (12") brown on the North last November, but I'm not positive it wasn't a Tellico stocker that had come upstream. I was close to the campground.

I love fishing those 2 rivers, but every time I go, I see worm containers on the banks, and am catching fewer and fewer fish every year.

If you caught a brown it was no stocker. My understanding is that browns have not been stocked on these rivers in over 50 years. I am jealous as I have been looking for that 12" brown you caught for years now! I would love nothing more than to get a slam there. I know where the rainbows are, I know where the brookies are, I just never can find the browns.

I was lucky enough to catch one about twenty-two inch brown earlier this year. I think it was in feb. Caught it in the campground on the North. Fish weren't really active that day. Like I said, lucky.
    Lynn

The last brown I caught on the North was taken on a hairs ear nymph just before dark. We usually pick up a brown or 2 on the Bald near the Holly Flats campground...we like to throw EHC and Stimulators up there.

My best brown on the North was 14" but that was years ago - maybe late 80's.

I'm pretty sure I remember Bux catching one much larger, low down near the Tellico

steve
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation, unless they fly fish... with apologies to Thoreau