Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two Coats

Default Sorry for the Dumb question BRF....

Been outta the loop for a while "not throwin too many loops either" but is that a 'Boo you built yourself, or are you refinishing one....

Reason I ask, not being a "handy" kinda guy, I'd still love to get ahold of a fixer upper, even if it's just a ol piece of crap and giver 'er a go.

Please save me from the path of destruction with a new obsession.

Plunker, it's a boo rod that a kids boo rebuild class in Michigan was selling on ebay. Don't worry though they left me plenty to do! They did a pretty good job but just went cheap on the ferrule glue and didn't varnish it. For $70 shipped to your door you can't beat the price. I think I have it all finished up at this point.

Since you are spraying the rod and not dipping the rold like most people do, you will have to use many more coats to get the classic varnish look of most bamboo rods.

Quote Originally Posted by gmreeves View Post
    Since you are spraying the rod and not dipping the rold like most people do, you will have to use many more coats to get the classic varnish look of most bamboo rods.

Ah thanks! I was wondering why it looked so thin still...didn't realize what people meant by "coats" I think it will take the entire can...maybe more. It already looks much more protected than when I first got it. Those kids were chincy with the varnish!

After reviewing this thread and my posts, I need to clarify- couple of coats on the thread alone. Two coats on the butt section, three coats on the other sections. I use a rotating motor and a foam brush. I can't dip as I don't have any place for 4 ft. sections- ceiling too low. Looking at pouring for a 'boo due to be ordered this fall. Will let you know how it turns out.