Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: Ultralight gear for the backcountry

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Springboro, OH
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckwalla View Post
    That's it. QTY 1 will get you six feet. They will "round" you up to the min qty.
    Thanks Chuckwalla, ordered a tube yesterday, since they are in Ohio hopefully it will arrive by Wednesday for my trip down. (I have been using the flo. light bulb tubes).

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Springboro, OH
    Posts
    316

    Default

    US Plastic shipped very fast, new light rod tube arrived today..

    Comparing the Butyrate tube to the fluorescent bulb tube - the butyrate is going to provide significantly better protection. With the light bulb tube, I knew if I set my pack down the wrong way, the light bulb tube would provide no protection. The butyrate barely compresses when I squeeze hard with both hands; it will provide protection from the pack weight.

    The extra protection comes at a cost of ~6 ounces; 8 ounces for butyrate tube vs. 2 ounces for fluorescent bulb tube. The extra weight is a no brainer - worth it to me.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    125

    Default Butyrate

    I may have missed this but what do you use for caps on the ends of the Butyrate tube or does it come with them? I used a flourescent tube light tube and had no problems but I wasn't very confident in its strength.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
    US Plastic shipped very fast, new light rod tube arrived today..

    Comparing the Butyrate tube to the fluorescent bulb tube - the butyrate is going to provide significantly better protection. With the light bulb tube, I knew if I set my pack down the wrong way, the light bulb tube would provide no protection. The butyrate barely compresses when I squeeze hard with both hands; it will provide protection from the pack weight.

    The extra protection comes at a cost of ~6 ounces; 8 ounces for butyrate tube vs. 2 ounces for fluorescent bulb tube. The extra weight is a no brainer - worth it to me.
    What'd that tube end up costing you? I use a fluorescent bulb thing now and am not too thrilled with it. Its light but adds no strength at all. Adam (crockett) doesn't mind sitting on his pack and rod though and hasn't broken one yet...

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Maryville, TN
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
    What'd that tube end up costing you? I use a fluorescent bulb thing now and am not too thrilled with it. Its light but adds no strength at all. Adam (crockett) doesn't mind sitting on his pack and rod though and hasn't broken one yet...
    I was just testing it

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    I was just testing it
    Test with your own pack/rod.... Not mine

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Springboro, OH
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lexfly View Post
    I may have missed this but what do you use for caps on the ends of the Butyrate tube or does it come with them? I used a flourescent tube light tube and had no problems but I wasn't very confident in its strength.
    The caps are sold separately, but are cheap..


    Quote Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
    What'd that tube end up costing you? I use a fluorescent bulb thing now and am not too thrilled with it. Its light but adds no strength at all. Adam (crockett) doesn't mind sitting on his pack and rod though and hasn't broken one yet...
    The minimum 6 foot length tube and 4 end caps totaled $24.02 for me. (I paid $1.47 tax since it is in state).


    I ordered the following item numbers:
    42133 6 Foot Tube 1-7/8" x 2" x 1/16" Tenite Butyrate Tubing - $16.68
    42107 (4x) 2" ID Poly-E Cap For Tenite Tube-Pak; 1" Inside($.22 ea) - $0.88

    -Matt-

    p.s. On a similar note, I pulled out a scales and noticed I could drop 2.5 ounces by leaving the rod sock behind. I will be putting the rod straight into the tube. I had been using the sock with the fluorescent tube so I will now only be 3.5 ounces heavier..
    Last edited by mattblick; 10-05-2011 at 02:06 PM.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Thanks. I will be getting that in the near future.

Similar Threads

  1. Gear talk - Matt's new backcountry toys
    By mattblick in forum In The Backcountry
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-31-2012, 02:46 PM
  2. Ultralight Rod Case ?
    By spotlight in forum In The Backcountry
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-22-2009, 01:45 PM
  3. ultralight warm water fishing
    By Troutman in forum Warmwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 08:13 PM
  4. Backcountry fishing/camping gear
    By flyfishingphoneman in forum Tackle and Gear
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 09:13 PM
  5. Anyone worn Cabelas Ultralight wading boots?
    By DixieFly in forum Tackle and Gear
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2006, 10:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •