Thread: White bassin

Default White bassin

Had a great morning out on the Holston yesterday. Arrived just before daylight with the river still running high , launched the boat, and started downstream looking for feeding smallmouth. Set up on the top of a shoal and the white bass started busting minnows all around. I had a favorite shallow running white rabbit streamer on my 8wt, and a popper on the 6wt. The WB were hitting almost every cast, so after about 15-20 on the streamer , I switched over to topwater and they liked it also. I am not a trout or smallmouth purist, I take whatever the river offers up each time I go, whether it is bream, smallies, carp, or white bass. I'm still waiting on the opportunity to find some big river stripers this year.
    here is the popper I used today. blockhead style

some good sized white bass

some decent smallies mixed in

Taking a break in the shade after the feeding shut down mid morning.

Looks like fun Gary! I haven't chased white bass or stripers in way too long and think I'm inspired now. May have to drive somewhere to chase those fish soon...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

David, I missed the annual spring white bass run two years in a row now on the FB and the Holston. Finding these bass was a lot of fun even if it only lasted a few hours.
    I would like to go with Dean Campbell sometime over to his home waters to learn how to catch those Stripers. Not knowing the river, I don't want to go by myself the first time.

Gary, I can't help you experience wise as far as fishing from a boat goes but would be glad to tell you what I have figured out if you would like. I don't know anything compared to Dean but have caught a few at times. Shoot me an email and I'll fill you in on what I do know...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog