Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late September Flies

Default Late September Flies

Planning a trip the w/e of 9/24 and wanted to get some advice on what flies I need to get. I have the green weenie, but have read about some others (barbie fly?, neversink caddis?) that I don't know about. What should I take for my yearly trip? Thanks!

Smile

Usually things go from yellow to orange this time of year.

I saw nice sized stone flies (I would guess between size 8 to 10), crawfish, a bunch of the Isochara (horrible spelling little black flies), and worms in a tanish yellow, white, and green in Rainbow Stomach contents this past weekend.

I have seen orange mayflies on all 3 of my last trips.

I'm sure others here can give better suggestions

lexfly,

You didn't say what kind of waters of you would be fishing, but I agree with DP on the dries, never hurts to have some parachute adams, gray and yellow body even this late in the summer season. I would have some nymphs as droppers, BHPT, Tellicos, and some soft hackle wet flies, orange or yellow bodies.

Good luck,

Neal

I have always had great luck in September/October with a white weenie. I have a fellow tie these for me as I haven't seen any of them in any flyshops. They are identical to the greenies ...only white.........Hope you do well !!
    Every fall I see some small wooly worms that are white on the banks and trees while I'm fishing and I had a friend tie some for me patterned after the greenie. Works for me

Quote Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
    never hurts to have some parachute adams, gray and yellow body even this late in the summer season.
    I agree...
    Sure seemed to work this past weekend. Found the brooks really picky and skittish with the low water and they almost ignored the dries I was throwing but they liked the BH soft hackles and green weenies droppers. Tie on an adams and they just seem to come to them like moths to a flame... It took about 5 casts with the adams on another creek and I had a nice 10" brown to hand...

Tight Lines,

Default thanks

Pineman. We are going to hazel creek, staying at bone valley. I hope to hike up high one day so I can catch some brookies. I've never heard of a white weenie, I may try to tie something like that before we go. Thanks for all the info!

Quote Originally Posted by lexfly View Post
    Pineman. We are going to hazel creek, staying at bone valley. I hope to hike up high one day so I can catch some brookies. I've never heard of a white weenie, I may try to tie something like that before we go. Thanks for all the info!
    Lexfly,

I haven't fished Hazel, but I would take some nymphs to try for some of the larger browns that can be caught in that stream.

Neal

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I don't get to the mtns much these days so I want to make the best of it. Will report back.

My go-to fly for year around is the tan Elk Hair Caddis. I have had great success with it in the Park. Either it is real good or the fish are not too smart.

It's time for the October Caddis. It's one of the larger caddis, maybe a size 8=10. It is also unique in that the pupa leave their cases and will be available to the fish for a couple of days before they hatch.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali