Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slickrock creek

Default Slickrock creek

Hey guys, anybody fished slickrock creek lately?

went couple of weeks ago. Water super low. Caught nothing but shiners. Big shiners tho'.

Probably good again since the rain.

Low and clear the last time I was there....The recent rains have probably helped and you should do well.........Go get'em

Smile I fished it 2 months ago

More shiners than one could handle. If someone want a place to have a 100+ fish day - here you go Can I call it a Slickrock Creek slam if I catch Shiners, Rainbow, and a Brown? The thing that freaked me out last time I went was a rattlesnake within 2 feet of my head when on the trail sitting on a branch.

I ment to write up a report, but never had the time.

Pics: http://www.duckypaddler.com/slickroc...6-18-2011.html

James

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    More shiners than one could handle. If someone want a place to have a 100+ fish day - here you go Can I call it a Slickrock Creek slam if I catch Shiners, Rainbow, and a Brown? The thing that freaked me out last time I went was a rattlesnake within 2 feet of my head when on the trail sitting on a branch.

I ment to write up a report, but never had the time.

Pics: http://www.duckypaddler.com/slickroc...6-18-2011.html

James
    Duckypaddler,

Man, that snake is nasty, would totally freak me out to have a rattler at head level BTW, you have a nice wife, letting you sick a trout on her like that

Neal

Slickrock has long been know for it's population ( over population ) of rattlesnakes. As long back as I can remember, 40 + years this has always been an issue in that area...... When I go I'm always vigulant for these guys almost to the point of not going back again.....

went in late june...just like everyone else...lots of shiners....2 small but colorfull bows.....decent smallie in the last falls into calderwood
    there is a reason they dont call it "catching"

Thanks for the reply's. I ended up going over to deep creek instead, hiked up near campsite 59. It was beautiful up there, caught quite a few fish too, mostly browns. Caught a few nice rainbows, the girlfriend's camera has seen better days and wasn't cooperating so no pictures . It was an awesome trip ad I'll be going back up there again. Slickrock is still on my list, hopefully I'll make it out there soon, I've been wanting to fish it for awhile. For future planning purposes, what section of the stream do you guys think fishes the best?

As hard as it is to get to slickrock it's not worth the rouble for catching a few shiners.

Fall. Wait until fall and the browns are running up to spawn. Also, buy a N.C. hunting license and carry a pistol and kill every otter you see. That's the only thing that's changed (that I've been told) in the years since Slick rock was once a remarkable place. I've fished slickrock several times and although it's a beautiful place to see the fishing is dismal at best. It is one of the "fishiest" looking streams you will fish but, it's all but devoid of fish albeit some guys have had limited success on the "perfect" days but, I've yet to have one of those days. I am in those mountains and woods about as much as anyone and I've yet to have any rattler problems but, the one in the tree creeps me out. They don't bother me in the least on the ground but, that's just an unfair advantage if they are in a tree.