Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall Tying Thread

Default Fall Tying Thread

I've been tying a lot on the week nights.....mostly because tv is total garbage these days. Here are a few different things that I've thrown together. All of them could use some help in one way or another, but I think they might grab a mountain trouts attention.

Random orange dry I threw together.....

October Caddis Dry

This is an october caddis wet fly that I came up with. I was told I should do away with any sort of tail.

Orange / Red Stimulator

Blackburn Tellico on a monster hook (a la Walter)

I don't care if your creations are as crappy or crappier than mine, let's see this tying forum get some action.....

Cody

I think they are all great looking flies. I have been wearing them out in the past week with October Caddis Pattern. I am throwing a small one around size 20 to mimic a similar midge.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Cody-

Glad that someone else feels that the tying forum has been dead lately, like being in a drought. Thanks for sharing your flies.

When its a 100 deg. F, its not fun to be out in the afternoon. And the fish don't like the warm water either during the day, they're sitting in the bottom of holes waiting it out.

When its this hot, rather be inside in the AC and doing something productive like tying flies.

Bill

Your flies are looking better and better. Pay attention to the number of hackle turns and the amount of hair you apply. Sometimes less is more That's really a nice looking BBT.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Cody - Is that red foam on the orange / red stimulator? If so, make me about 20 of those bad boys!

Ryan

Great patterns...that October Caddis dry is one that always brings me a lot of success...all those patterns should catch plenty of fish though!
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Here is my first attempt at an articulated streamer. Its a variation on Kelly Galloup's SD... All constructive criticism would be appreciated so I can improve...

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Those articulated long bugs will twist your leader and make your fly line nervous. Send me all those you have tyed so It wont be hard on the line in the future. Brown trout know they are bad so they try to knock them out of the river.

Last edited by olesmoke; 09-15-2011 at 08:47 PM.
    "never let a day go by without telling the CHILDREN how special they are"

Quote Originally Posted by olesmoke View Post
    Those articulated long bugs will twist your leader and make your fly line nervous. Send me all those you have tyed so It wont be hard on the line in the future. Brown trout know they are bad so they try to knock them out of the river.

Been trespassing down at the water treatment plant again I see

David that's a good looking fly. How did you connect the two hooks?
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
    Here is my first attempt at an articulated streamer. Its a variation on Kelly Galloup's SD... All constructive criticism would be appreciated so I can improve...
    Good Job on this Fly! I have been experimenting with articulated streamers for the past year with varying results. My main problem is the trailing body ends up fouling my set up after a few casts. If you do not mind explaining; how are you connecting the two-bodies? -mono? -wire?

Also; do you have trouble getting that fly to sink or is it weighted? Good job and thanks for sharing your picture.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”