Thread: Winter Preparations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Winter Preparations

I fly fish the South Holston a little. This winter I would like to go up about once a week, but fly tying time is limited so I want to prepare now. Is the winter still sulfur hatches? What flies adn size do I need to go ahead and prepare for the coming winter months. Thanks in advance.

Winter on the SoHo will mostly be BWO, midges, and blackflies. Stripper Midges from #22 down to as small as you can tie. CDC BWOs from #18 to #26 and of course patterns like Zebra Midges, etc. I'm sure others can add a lot more but these should be a good start.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I was afraid of that, the small stuff is difficult, but I guess I will get better with practice.

If you have tough times with the small flies tie the small midge to the bend of a larger fly and watch your line for movement. The key is to get the small fly to the depth where they are feeding at the particular time you are fishing.

Thanks Hans, I had never considered this, I am still an amateur fly fisherman. Went yesterday and caught a couple. I missed about 9 using a sulfur, they went after it, but never took the fly.

Default winter on the So.Ho.

I fish it all year, Knapp is correct, small bugs, midges including pupa are good and dropping them behind a #18 b.w.o. will work I did it yesterday. Black flies can also be tied behind a b.w.o.
    Drift will be more critical, try using 7X tippet and long 12 feet plus leaders. I like the winter especially when it is snowing. The sulfurs may continue, they did last year into December and latter but the fish don't seem to key onto them. It is a midge situation.
    South Holston fly shop, Rod Champion and Matthew McGuinn are great. I'm there almost every weekend. Maybe I'll see you there.
    b.t.w.
    sometimes we're all beginners, trust me the So.Ho. can humble the best of em.
    c.v.