Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone fished Jake's Creek in the last few days?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
    Without getting too specific, how far up have you found browns?
    JF
    Without getting too specific .... lets just say that most of what is pink on your map could very well be blue... but I say leave it as it is.

Tight Lines,

Fair enough. You have clearly helped me make a case for more fishing...er I mean research... on Jakes Creek come spring.
    “Joe” Fred Turner
    Southern Appalachian Stream Maps sasMaps.com
    Formerly SmokyStreams.com

Thanks for all the info!

I'd already headed up when this info was posted, but I plan to file this info away for future trips.

We had a pretty good few days in the park. We stayed at Elkmont. We were there early Thursday through about mid-day Sunday. Seemed like you could set your watch by the fish. For us, each day was slow until about 4:30, then they got hungry and started to move.

Thursday, I thought the river seemed slicker than usual, and I found myself stumbling more than normal. When I got out of the river, I realized my boot had blown out, so we made a Friday trip down to LRO for a new pair. It was time. And my birthday's right around the corner, so why not, right?

Saturday, we went up the little river trail as far as Goshen Prong Trailhead. I headed up GP trail as far as the first bridge and fished around there a bit. It was a great walk, and the river was really pretty. Fishing was good too. I need to go back and study my map a little more. I'd like to keep walking/fishing upstream from there as well. It was nice to get further back in the woods.

I fished some wet flies, some usual-suspect dries, but I mostly stuck with what I know...a(ny) nymph dropped off of a stimi.

I did find myself missing more strikes than I usually do. Certainly more than I care to admit. And many of the fish I caught were poorly hooked too. I was also guilty of jerking the hook out of a few mouths prematurely. Maybe I was hyped up from all the walking.

Anyway, thanks to all who posted on this. I want to go check that out too. It's good to know that at my current pace of two long-weekend trips each year, I'll never run out of fishable waters to explore in the park. We're awfully lucky to have such a beautiful place to fish.

Cubefisher....if you are willing to walk up as far as Goshen Trail sometime you should fish up the LR toward CS24....some really nice dry fly fishing up there....if you start above the camp site with a little luck you can catch a grand slam without leaving the stream....