Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tenkara rigging

Quote Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
    That's not saying you can't fish with it, I think that going Tenkara means embracing some limitations that you don't have with a traditional western rod, and for me those limitations make it harder to fish small streams.

--Matt
    I think that's certainly true; though the flip-side is that while there might be fish I might not be able to reach with a Tenkara rod on any given outing, there will also be trout I wouldn't be able to catch any other way, since a Tenkara rod provides such an advantage with drag-free presentation. That said, a 13-foot rod does make you plan ahead a bit--both in terms of what "slot" you need for the initial cast and, hopefully, where you'll put the rod once you do hook-up. Fortunately, there are usually more "slots" available than it looks like at first--most of the streams I've fished in the GSMNP have enough flash-floods that they're only intermittently "tight."

Ordered my Tenkara this week, looking forward to a new challenge. Randy were do you use Tenkara the most ,tailwater of freestone streams. Are you using Tenkara flys or just adapting you usual flys. I also purchased a floro level to go with rod.plan on using so Tenkara flys and usual stuff for DH waters and freestone streams . More later Bill

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 09:10 AM.