Thread: Shakespeare Russel 1985 Model GE

Question Shakespeare Russel 1985 Model GE

I found an old Shakespeare Russel 1985 Model GE fly reel at the flea market this weekend. Reel is in very nice shape. Wondering what weight fly line I should put on it. Can't find any info on the weight line it should have.

I had this link handy in my bookmarks. I bet one of these contacts could probably help you dial it in...

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/antiques/info.shtml
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

I would expect the line weight to be more a function of the rod you'd be using rather than the reel. What rod would you be using the reel with?
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!

Called a nice feller in Iowa who works on old reels. He said I could run up to a 12 weight line on the reel with no problems. So I've decided to go with an 8 weight line. Guess I can use it for bass fishing, as well as for flounder, specks, and white trout here in the gulf.

Quote Originally Posted by Stana Claus View Post
    I would expect the line weight to be more a function of the rod you'd be using rather than the reel. What rod would you be using the reel with?
    You are exactly right. I believe I answered his post presumptuously without thinking it through. My rationale was that he was trying to get it back to the original setup. I have some antique setups and I enjoy fishing with this type of approach. I even have a few reels matched up with the old 'Wonder-rods'. They are pretty dang stiff. However; I do not think I could ever regress back to the old floating line materials in action.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Love antiques! Married to one! I have two old casting reels and steel rods- don't fish them, wall hangers. I have an old South Bend fiberglass rod and Pflueger medalist reel (late 1950's) that I fish occasionally for old times sake. Keep it, take care of it and use it.