Thread: Wading Jacket Suggestions

Default Wading Jacket Suggestions

Hi all,

I am looking for a new wading jacket. A few years back, I purchased one from Cabela's for about $70 (might have been on sale?) and it really suit my needs. However, I have lost A LOT of weight and that jacket does not fit anymore.

The only thing that jacket really lacked for me is handwarmer pockets. Those would have been really nice to have.

I have been looking and it seems that the prices of outerwear have risen. I am considering the Simms Headwaters Jacket.
    http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/hea...ex_jacket.html

Let's say that price $200 is my max. I would also like the handwarmer pockets. GoreTex is not a requirement. Any suggestions?

I have a Simm's Model similar to this one. It is a fabulous jacket and extremely well made. Also; it actually folds up decently to take off and store in a pack. However; it does not breath/vent very well for me. I do think I sweat more than the average person.

It sounds like your hands are one of the biggest concerns. I would get some Power Stretch Gloves ($30), a nice warm vest ($60), and a parka shell for $99. Marmot has some excellent products to complete a package with this idea. http://marmot.com/products/precip_jacket?p=216,222

Either-way; $200 for a Simm's Jacket is a great investment and you will be pleased.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

What makes a jacket worth $200

My buddy just got this jacket, its the new Simms G4 guide jacket, it is very nice. it retails for 479, but is on sale now for 299.99 (for the ugly green one) @ mrfc.com

Simms products are a little pricey but are top notch. My wife and I each have Simms wading jackets and love them. If you watch you can find models on closeout. You may want to check sites like Red Truck Fly Fishing and ebay to mention a couple. You won't go wrong with Simms. Should a problem develops I understand they take care of their customers. I have never had a problem with any of their gear.

The Redington Stratus would be my choice for a breathable wading jacket and it only cost $85-$100 depending where you get it.

http://www.redington.com/S-S.html

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/36449?feat=503878-GN3

Can't beat it, you get what you pay for and being wet is no fun.

Default Check out the Orvis Wadelite at LRO

I bought an Orvis for <$100 when it was on sale or with a $25 coupon, don't remember which. I has neoprene cuffs; breathable; pockets; packs down really small. Great product; good price.