Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice requested

Default Advice requested

So after recovering from my last Back country backpacking fishing trip I am hoping to plan another. Packing 5-7 miles one way is not a problem. However this year we would like to take our dogs; which means the GSMNP is out. We would like a somewhat maintained trail and preferably actual camp sights with of course stellar fishing. I would love to not have a killer hike when it comes to elevation as well. I know I am not asking for much. So far it looks like maybe the Bald River may fit the bill. Give me some ideas of what you would suggest. We would stay in the same camp site for a couple of days, not much for moving around. Thanks

I would check first but, I believe the same rules are applied to Bald River Falls (Cherokee National Forest) as the National Park unless actually hunting. I could be wrong thou.

Smile Bald River is what I would suggest to you

Easier hiking, plenty of sites, nice fishing and scenery. Depending on how many nights you are staying you might also hit up the headwaters of Citico Creek. Also may want to keep in mind water levels as I wouldn't want to be on Bald river when the Tellico is above 2 feet.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FishNHunt View Post
    I would check first but, I believe the same rules are applied to Bald River Falls (Cherokee National Forest) as the National Park unless actually hunting. I could be wrong thou.
    Dogs are most definately legal in the backcountry there

With a name like NarcoCop, I could see you being a stickler for the rules

I don't think you will have any trouble in the CNF. There are bears in the Tellico corridor. Check and make sure there are no hunting seasons when you go. My son and I checked once and didn't see any deer season listed. We got up to the Tellico and saw people with rifles and orange vests. We stopped and asked a fellow what was in season- bear!
    TWRA is http://www.tnwildlife.org.

Thank you all so far, and I will take more advice. Yes I believe in following rules and it chaps my knickers when I see people with dogs on the GSMNP trails, mostly because I can't take mine. I do have orange vests for the pups that I would take along just in case. We are looking to go around Easter so I would think that there would be no seasons. But I am very ignorant about bear hunting. I will also look into CITICO if you have any references please share ... unless of course it is your honey hole.

If you're going around Easter, you might want to keep in mind that it will be turkey season around here. The season will go from March 31 - May 13. I reckon it's a good idea to bring the orange vests for the pups! Best of luck to you.

TN Jed, good thinking!

Okay after all of the internet scouting I can do, I think we are heading to Bald River. If anyone can point me to available trail maps that would include campsites I would appreciate it. Also weather advice and fly selections for April 8 area would be great. Thanks folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Drugcop4 View Post
    Okay after all of the internet scouting I can do, I think we are heading to Bald River. If anyone can point me to available trail maps that would include campsites I would appreciate it. Also weather advice and fly selections for April 8 area would be great. Thanks folks.
    There aren't any commercially available maps that show campsite locations, although several guide books are available that give accurate descriptions of their locations. Good thing is, assuming you are hiking in from the falls, there are 3 seperate camping spots before you hit the road at holly flats. Watch out for yellow jackets.