Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing report 2-17-12

Default Fishing report 2-17-12

So took the day off from work today and figured it would be as good a day as any to get to the river. I started out with a quick stop to see Daniel at LRO and grab a few nymphs....the ones that produced "zero" fish I might add. I must say the weather was absolutely perfect!

I decided to try a Tellico nymph with a few split shot at one of my favorite runs and got no strikes. I tried another run same result nothing the water temp was 42 degrees at 12:30 I tried a few more casts still nothing...then to my surprise I started seeing hatches...I was like what? this is February.

Well, low and behold there were some what looked like blue wing olives and Quill Gordons coming off and I started to see rises....I thought great I have Quills.....NOT! my spring fly box was at home on my desk....so I decided on a march brown.....and that's when the fun started!

This was one was on my first cast....and they just kept hitting and I mean hard and fast. Nearly every cast has a rise.....

in this photo you can see the march brown.

even got a chance to try out my waterproof drop proof/idiot proof camera..

The weather couldn't have been better! A day on the stream sure did recharge my batteries. I only seen a hand full of fishermen and caught 2 fish from the same run and not a single rainbow of the 10 fish to hand. I stopped back in to LRO to chat with Daniel and found out he has a horse that paints....be sure and ask him about this one! it was surely a nice day in the Smokies I sure hope this is a sign of what is to come in the spring!
    Last edited by spotlight; 02-17-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Amazing. I guess you guys will catch them all before I have a chance to get down thare.
    You can't stay dry and one temperature all your life! ROB

Kevin, looks like a great time out on the water! Great to see so many browns...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Dwayne....that's just comical.....Rob I set them all free so there will be a plenty for everyone I am sure...David looking forward to seeing your fly tying skills on Sunday....

Good to see a fishing report from you wild man. I thought you had joined some sort of motorcycle gang. Why don't you plan us a backcountry adventure this spring that doesn't involve monsoons? Awesome fish dude.

Cody, send me an e-mail so I will have your address....I sent Grouseman & Crockett a e-mail with trip plans and asked Jason to forward it to you but he didn't have your e-mail.....I got a good one cooked up.

Nice! Going by the rod grip and seat- approx. 11 inches total. I'm jealous.

I am with Cody on this one I thought you had sold off all your watersport gear and headed out to live on the Dragon terrorizing people in automobiles. Thanks man for the awesome report I got out yesterday and caught a couple of specks on the NC side with my son. We definitely need to do a trip this spring.

Default Nice!

Kevin,
    Great to see a report from you. I still need to get up there to fish with you!

Scott