Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tourist Jet Boat on the French Broad?

There is alot that goes into this activity that is not good for the that river beyond the tourists and eye sores.

The majority of that river has high mud banks and only a small portion of that is armored by rock. How will the wave action of those jets running at 50 mph up and down the stream all day work out for that river?

The shoal where the little pigeon meets that FB is a large coble flat and I have seen many fish at a time spawing there. Watch the Smoky mountain jet boat video on you tube and the blow through that doing a "drifting turn".

I dont know how many of you have seen how much traffic goes through one of these attractions. I dont have a hard number my self but this will be far more than a few trips up and down a short stretch of river. "Wahoo" ziplines is the company I would assume is doing this already runs a zip line business in Pigeon Forge. Huge numbers of folks. HUGE.

I mean I am sure I could right several ways this is bad and cant see at all how it is sustainable tourism. I am sure they can sustain their profits but that resource is going to be hammered.

If I owned property on that river I would raise absolute ****.

The way that county has already stuck it to the Little Pigeon System is appauling. This is just another.

I agree with Highstick. Those boats are going to ruin a fish on the bed. They won't tollerate that kind of pressure. Will they be running the boat into the LP. It will really mess those fish up. Very narrow up past Boyds Creek bridge.
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by highstick View Post

How will the wave action of those jets running at 50 mph up and down the stream all day work out for that river?

Probably alot less than the 18000 cfs TVA pumps down the river channel ;which most property owners don't like ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wright View Post
    Probably alot less than the 18000 cfs TVA pumps down the river channel ;which most property owners don't like ?
    Exactly right Steve. There is no amount of boat traffic which equals the damage done by high tailwater flows. The mud banks wouldn't exist if there was no generation. Also, on the same front, nothing destroys spawning grounds faster then a massive flood, which occurs daily on all our tailwaters.

I know it's not a very good river bait, but how about a few dt22 crankbaits thown in the general direction of the jet boat. No telling what you could hook!!

Default Body Recovered From River Near Boat Wreck Site

Having just moved to the Nolichucky River area a few months afterward, I first learned of this tragedy straight from the still grieving mother of the young man whose body was recovered. He was the owner of the 16-foot aluminum Grizzly with a 40-horsepower jet drive.

http://greenevillesun.com/Local_News...Site-id-313929
    Last edited by JoeFred; 03-01-2012 at 12:51 AM.
    “Joe” Fred Turner
    Southern Appalachian Stream Maps
    sasMaps.com
    Formerly SmokyStreams.com

Well gang I suppose that if enough folks are trully passionate about preserving what's left of this section of river it would be time to ORGANIZE an oppositional effort... raise money. hire an attorney, petition that State Resource agencies and get the Feds engaged in this debate.

Very good talking points have been raised; is there now a "call to action"?

What troubles me most is that this is a public resource that is being "developed" into a commercial resource with many negative consequences.

Obviously operation of the Douglas Dam has changed the natural character of the river hence there are many "recreational, environmental and habitat losses" associated with "Peaking flows"...

BUT this "taking" is legally measured by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commision against the need for electrical power that is considered a necessity of the common public "good".

State & especially Federal agencies seek a BALANCED use of our rivers... this is not a balance

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
    Having just moved to the Nolichucky River area a few months afterward, I first learned of this tragedy straight from the still grieving mother of the young man whose body was recovered. He was the owner of the 16-foot aluminum Grizzly with a 40-horsepower jet drive.

http://greenevillesun.com/Local_News...Site-id-313929
    Tragic indeed. But, this is not the same type of jetboat. Jetboats have been ran by fisherman for many many years out west, in Alaska and yes here in TN. That was being reckless. No life jacket on, running when the Chucky was High and Fast, and running in the dark. Insert any type of watercraft and the same tragedy can happen.

Now the recreational boat that is shown on the French Broad being ran by the zipline company goes a bit faster and is designed to do all the spinouts etc. Which I have no problem with in and of itself as long as they are insured properly and carry all of the necessary safety equipment. The problem starts when they start interfering with other users of the river like canoeist, kayakers and anchored boats. They can run a yacht up the river if they choose, just obey the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by br549 View Post
    ... The problem starts when they start interfering with other users of the river like canoeist, kayakers and anchored boats. They can run a yacht up the river if they choose, just obey the laws.
    br549, I agree completely. It's just that Byron's YouTube post of the "bigguns" racing through those gorges in New Zealand got me thinking, are they soon going to jetting tourists up as far as Asheville?? JF
    Last edited by JoeFred; 03-01-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    “Joe” Fred Turner
    Southern Appalachian Stream Maps
    sasMaps.com
    Formerly SmokyStreams.com

JoeFred, Probably if they could figure out how to do it!!

Looks to me like if you were rolling down Fort Loudon Lake on a summer Saturday driving your boat like that, the TWRA or Blount County patrol boats would be issuing citations for reckless driving.