Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boo - yeah

Quote Originally Posted by tnflyfisher View Post
    I'm thinking that this is what I may do in the future as well, especially if the cost is considerably less.

I used to live off of Genesee Park Blvd. I went to MCC trying to get in to UR but like you said... that's a whole 'nother story.

Tight Lines,
    Shoot me an email next time you're here to fish. We'll hook up and you can cast my rods and we'll compare notes on 'dacks.

Bob@southwindcanvas.com
    Bob Campbell
    rit.edu
    800 miles North of the country's best wild trout fishing

Bob,

Will do and much appreciated...

Tight Lines,

Default Awesome Job!

Bob, that's a great looking rod, especially for a first time build. I have always wondered about bamboo, but since I can't cast a graphite rod with any skill, I've assumed that it would be best to not consider wasting my time/money on bamboo.

But it may be time to build one, even if I end up giving it away...Did you go with a ferruled or non-ferruled blank? Where did you go for the other hardware?

I think I need a project....

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCz View Post
    Bob, that's a great looking rod, especially for a first time build. I have always wondered about bamboo, but since I can't cast a graphite rod with any skill, I've assumed that it would be best to not consider wasting my time/money on bamboo.

But it may be time to build one, even if I end up giving it away...Did you go with a ferruled or non-ferruled blank? Where did you go for the other hardware?

I think I need a project....
    Thanks, Pete. It doesn't look as good as if Mike or Stan built it, but I was pretty pleased. I bought a ferruled blank. Dennis Stone does a great job. Like you, I thought my pathetic casting skills would get magnified by the bamboo action, however, I found that the additional mass in the bamboo actually slows down my casting stroke so that I feel the rod load much better than with my graphite rods. The jury is still out but I feel like it will make me a better caster in the long run. Oh, and one immediate benefit is that it roll casts like a dream.

With the exception of the agate stripper, I bought the guides from snakeguides.com. I bought the reel seat from rec.com. I probably could have gotten everything from anglersworkshop.com where I ended up buying the agate stripping guide and wrapping thread.

It was a fun project. I highly recommend it. Even buying the ferruled blank you can keep the price under $500. By the way, I didn't buy an extra tip. My logic was that I didn't know if I would keep it, and if I did, I knew I was going to make a second rod. (I have 2 sons. ;-)

I think I'm a bamboo convert if not evangelist.
    Bob Campbell
    rit.edu
    800 miles North of the country's best wild trout fishing