Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NO tall tales, let's tell it all!

Default NO tall tales, let's tell it all!

As I sit here for the 10,000th time tying somekind of dry fly in some delicate pattern one thought comes to my mind........What is the largest trout you have ever caugth and landed on a DRY fly!

#18 Cutthroat in the Snake River on an ant of all things for me!

Maybe I will go back and tie some more nymphs and streamers tonight!
    Last edited by Flat Fly n; 05-27-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    I am a great admirer of spectator sports, especially on television; it keeps the riffraff off the trout streams.

Default dry fly

27"rainbow on foam black ant, near boone NC.

Fishing is not a matter of life and death.It's more important than that.

Knowing you, you shot that fish first and then put that ant in it's mouth! Oh son!
    I am a great admirer of spectator sports, especially on television; it keeps the riffraff off the trout streams.

Mine was a big brown on the Taylor River in Colorado. Did not put a tape on the fish but it was probably around 22". Caught it on a #18 or #20 CDC BWO emerged pattern...one of the most visual and heart-stopping takes I've ever experienced as I watched it slowly ghost up under the fly, drifting back about 4 feet before slowly sipping it off the surface...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

LOL; when I go shooting with folks I don't hold the target.

So far nothing has exceeded about 17-18". One of the more memorable occasions though was a few years ago fishing in VA. A nice bow about 17" came up and took a small royal wulff stimulator as it floated by. After setting the hook he literally rocketed out of the water about four feet into the air and proceeded to follow that with some entertaining tail walking. Everyone that was in close proximity to me really enjoyed the show, as did I.

Hopefully, one day, I will have a pic of a monster Atlantic to take the top slot...

Tight Lines,

17 inch rainbow on the Hiwassee on a #14 EHC; 16 inch rainbow on the Tellico on a #14 sulphur- in September! Fish didn't have a hatch chart.
    To keep things in perspective, my smallest trout was a 3 inch brookie on a #14 EHC from Rough Ridge at the last campsite in TN.

My biggest on a dry was a 23-24" bull trout in the Frank Church Wilderness in ID. It came up and swallowed a size 2 Chernobyl Ant. Talk about a rush!

Quote Originally Posted by TNBigBore View Post
    My biggest on a dry was a 23-24" bull trout in the Frank Church Wilderness in ID. It came up and swallowed a size 2 Chernobyl Ant. Talk about a rush!
    That is AWESOME!!! Someday I hope to get a chance to fish for Bull Trout, but in the meantime love hearing about others experiences...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

17.5" rainbow on the Clinch last week! She sipped a #18 CDC sulphur dry. Bigegst trout on any type of fly for me. I am still flyin' high from that one.