Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do rainbows really get this big in the Park?

Default Do rainbows really get this big in the Park?

is a catch like this possible in Cataloochee Creek? The poster of this photo, on another site, claims it came out of Cat. I didn't know rainbows grew this big anywhere in the park - almost wonder if it's a lake trout transplant.

Wow, can't believe I remembered my password! Anyways, that is a concrete raised fish. Check out the tail, it is slap wore out...

They will never grow that big if people stick continue to stick their fingers up the gills like this chap. Why do people do this? This is fish rape by finger and should be a felony. There needs to be a website that keeps track of these registered fish finger rapists in our communities.

Maybe they were gonna eat it. Nice fish though.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
    They will never grow that big if people stick continue to stick their fingers up the gills like this chap. Why do people do this? This is fish rape by finger and should be a felony. There needs to be a website that keeps track of these registered fish finger rapists in our communities.

Fish rape by finger?

Never caught one but have seen one larger than that in LR west prong. I think it was a stocked brood fish that swam up. It did not look as thin or healthy as the one in the picture, but it was bigger.

I do not think there are any wild resident rainbows that size in the Park anymore. It is either a stocker that ran up or a Lake run fish. There are some big lake run bows in the Park streams and even some nice lake run browns at certain times of the year.

Thats a one fin wonder. Maybe someone is pulling some legs.
    Lynn

There used to or at least when I fished the park with some regularity big fish. I have seen three big bows, one on the Big Shoe of Abrams, two on the Little just after you turn off to go into Elkmont. The biggest fish, a brown, I actually hooked with a 6-7" native bow attached to a chartuese elk hair caddis one day! It came out from under a ledge on the Little above the terminal end of the road (back when you could drive past the houses and the road ended in a little parking lot) and swallowed my fish. It's the pool about 40 yards up from the lot, and the last time I saw it there was a tree in the middle of the pool. At the time of this fiasco, there wasn't a tree. I was wet wading and went down two pools with him before he let go. This catastrophe was witness and horse laughed at me by Andrew Betts, son of John, who we all have used his fly tying material from time to time.

I vote yes.
    I am a great admirer of spectator sports, especially on television; it keeps the riffraff off the trout streams.

I agree the tail looks like a hatchery fish. A wild bow that size should have a much bigger tail.
    Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.