Thread: Sorry Ernie Schwiebert, Jr.

Default Sorry Ernie Schwiebert, Jr.

Author of the standard.."Matching the Hatch" book circa 1955

I performed I guess in his mind blasphemy on Sunday at the Clinch. Minimal bugs, few rises, no takes to the nymph, and very few takes on Comparadun, parachutes, classics, and the like so I put on an yellow #15 X-Caddis and began having a day of it! Gin clear, low water, and no wind.

Enjoy. Simple to tie, and no poor chickens were harmed for my enjoyment! HA!
    http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/fly-.../xcaddis.shtml

Hook TMC 102Y
    Body Super Fine - sulphur
    Wing Deer Hair - East TN version
    Tail/Shuck - Brown Z-lon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Schwiebert
    Last edited by Flat Fly n; 05-22-2012 at 12:39 PM.
    I am a great admirer of spectator sports, especially on television; it keeps the riffraff off the trout streams.

Not sure about that. Looks like a good imitation of an emerging sulfur. I tied up an imitation very much like that for green drakes and flavs and raised **** on trout on the Henry's Fork. Congrats on thinking outside the accepted norm for what a sulfur should look like. Silvercreek
    "Here fishy fishy."

I love that fly. It's good for anything caddis,stones and mayflies. Started fishing it when a guy @blue ribbon said here try this. Had a great day on the Yellowstone. I was really bothered when I couldn't remember the guys name since he was so nice and helpful to an old red neck from Tennessee. On my way out I stopped by the shop to thank him. I said sorry I didn't catch your name. He said thats OK I didn't give it. We laughed and he says good to meet you I'm Craig Mathews. That was 15 years ago. Sorry for the ramble its just everytime I see an X-caddis I think of that story.
    Lynn

My grandfather taught me to think outside of the "fly box"!!!!!!!
    Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

Looks like carpet fuzz. Dang man I am unimpressed.

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    Looks like carpet fuzz. Dang man I am unimpressed.
    Naa man, my sowbug looks like carpet fuzz! This looks like one of your comparaduns you tie, but how you do a crappy job on making the wings vertical! HA
    Last edited by Flat Fly n; 05-22-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    I am a great admirer of spectator sports, especially on television; it keeps the riffraff off the trout streams.

Great example and important lesson for some of us that don't get to fish "major" hatches very often. I was examining a hatching mayfly in the Park a couple of weeks ago when I noticed how the wings were far more swept back than we usually tie them to be. I'll have to tie more patterns to fit that look if I'm going to fish the sulphurs this year...just in case...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
    Naa man, my sowbug looks like carpet fuzz! This looks like one of your comparaduns you tie, but how you do a crappy job on making the wings vertical! HA

You know better than me tying a comparadun. I have my own little sulphur I have tied since the early 90's. Naturally it was a borrowed pattern, but I claim it as mine now.