Thread: Memorial Day 2012

Default Memorial Day 2012

My son Evan is home from UT over the summer. Well, at least living at home ,while he commutes back for summer classes over the next couple of months. I ask him to go with me out in the boat today on the French Broad. He hasn't fished very much over the past couple of years, but He was able to get his casting rhythm back pretty quickly in the yard last evening, so I rigged up a 4wt and an 8wt for him to use.
    We were on the river by 7am this morning, and it was a cool ride upstream to my favorite shoal. I like it because it very wadable and you have plenty of room to spead out. I've had some great mornings here over the years.

Evan stretching out some cast with an 8wt and a popper.

We had no luck this morning on the shoal but after some fly changes, we found some bream willing to eat. I took along a 4wt just in case! nice redbreast on a micro stealth bomber.

He also scored a beautiful bass mixed in.

We finished out the morning with drift down another favorite stretch. We were getting pretty hot and He decided to let me fish this one as he watched.
    Dad had to show him how its done!

A nice 17"er to hand before heading home to cool off and recount a fun day together.

Looks like an awesome time on the water Gary! Nice smallmouth to finish the day as well...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Glad you had a good day. Always nice to have some father and son time. Beautiful fish.
    Lynn

Glad that ya'll got some time together on the river. That sure is a nice smallie. Makes me want to head back that way soon.

Thumbs up

Really nice pictures and looks you and your son had a great day. It is always a great day on the water with your fly rod but even better with your son. Thanks for sharing.

Nice going Evan and Gary!
    Nothing like spending time with outdoors our kids.
    Mark 1:17

Thanks! I was very happy that he was still interested in going fly fishing with me again. Once they get to the age where they are away from home, going to college, military, or working a job, you just dont get to spend the time you want with them anymore. I know there are several of us on here that have taught our children to fly fish and tried to show them how great just spending time in the outdoors can be and it makes us feel good when they grow up still enjoying doing those things.