Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: what happend with sulfur hatch???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    clinton
    Posts
    52

    Default what happend with sulfur hatch???

    basically i consider it never happened....very light and over by early to mid may.past years where much better.
    Also in completely different topic from 61 bridge down river is behaving like it does in august .Shad fry balls.warm water.more algae,etc,etc
    Essentially 2 months ahead of schedule...
    interested in your observations /opinions.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by truchin View Post
    basically i consider it never happened....very light and over by early to mid may.past years where much better.
    Also in completely different topic from 61 bridge down river is behaving like it does in august .Shad fry balls.warm water.more algae,etc,etc
    Essentially 2 months ahead of schedule...
    interested in your observations /opinions.
    Obama, nuff said.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clinton, TN
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Haha.........
    Adam
    awilson1010@gmail.com

    My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
    www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

    ><>

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    Obama, nuff said.
    Exactly.....
    I am a great admirer of spectator sports, especially on television; it keeps the riffraff off the trout streams.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    1,168

    Default

    It was pretty rough last Friday. Muddy water came through, and everything was shutdown. Picked up a few on streamers, but nothing like usual.

    I wish I was able to fish more right now, but way too many things on my plate. I personally enjoy the summer and fall fishing on the Grinch. The crowds that descend on the river for the sulfur hatch are gone, and the big fish are sipping tiny midges.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    272

    Default

    I noticed the water was off color a bit on Sunday. When the generators came on, it really got off color. I have not spent enough time on the river at full generation to know whether or not that is normal. Does full generation color the water up that much or was it due to the earlier rain upstream? We floated Peach Orchard to 61 bridge in the new boat on Sunday. Caught decent numbers and a few good fish, but once the water got up. it was over. Still, a very nice day.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Norris, TN
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I noticed the water was off color a bit on Sunday. When the generators came on, it really got off color. I have not spent enough time on the river at full generation to know whether or not that is normal. Does full generation color the water up that much or was it due to the earlier rain upstream? We floated Peach Orchard to 61 bridge in the new boat on Sunday. Caught decent numbers and a few good fish, but once the water got up. it was over. Still, a very nice day.
    I think we chatted Sunday(?) I was in the blue/aluminum boat with a friend.

    Coal Creek was still running cloudy Sunday and dumping sediment in the river. Also; it was very nasty Saturday and I expect most of that sediment just piled up below I-75 Bridge with the low flows. I notice that the pulses and short generations are not clearing the river and our basically just re-floating the sediment.

    You can notice this action by watching the deeper holes behind shoals. They are normally clear and dark. However; they have been collecting sediment and appear lighter right now. Also; the fish seem to have moved from these key feeding lies to above them and at the bottom of tail-outs.

    This is bad for the bug activity and I suspect it has hindered the sulphur hatches. However; it does allow you to present your flies a bit more stealthy.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    272

    Default

    Madison,
    yes, I remember talking to you . Good to meet you. I was hoping that the river wasn't like that everytime they generated. Like I said, after the water came up, that was pretty much it, except for a few spots where we saw some good fish rise in the late afternoon. Guess we were the last ones at the take out. Will try it again soon up there.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,325

    Default

    We had really bad sediment years due to similar crap flows in the late 90's and it virtually eliminated the sulfurs for about 5 years.

    I haven't been on the river since mid march, as there have been other things in the fishing world occupying my time, so I may not be 100% up to speed on current river conditions.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Norris, TN
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Madison,
    yes, I remember talking to you . Good to meet you. I was hoping that the river wasn't like that everytime they generated. Like I said, after the water came up, that was pretty much it, except for a few spots where we saw some good fish rise in the late afternoon. Guess we were the last ones at the take out. Will try it again soon up there.
    If you fish PO from I-75 Bridge down; you have to be mindful of the previous days' weather. If it has stormed or rained in the Coal Creek Watershed; then it will be cloudy in that area. It usually dissipates in 1-2 days when the river is generating at a higher cfs rate than current. Also; I do not enjoy getting caught up on the front end of the flow as it is currently full of all kinds of hydra. If you are going to fish through a generation; it is good to hold up for an hour and have lunch to let the junk push on through...Then float and throw close to the bank and work the inside bends.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”



Similar Threads

  1. Hex hatch
    By elkhaircaddis in forum Warmwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2015, 11:16 AM
  2. Sulfur Sparkledun Tutorial
    By ChemEAngler in forum General Fly Tying
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-15-2011, 11:40 PM
  3. How long does the sulfur hatch on the Clinch last?
    By MBB in forum Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-28-2011, 11:25 PM
  4. Sulfur Fare
    By ttas67 in forum General Fly Tying
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 10:35 PM
  5. a hatch!
    By jross in forum Warmwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 12:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •