Oldman and I set out Saturday morning for 3 day/2 night backcountry fishing trip in the GSMNP. He has fished this stream but it was my first time there. We carefully reviewed the weather forecast and knew Saturday was good but Sunday and Monday we may be in for trouble. With both of us wanting badly to get into the backcountry, we went for it.

After setting up camp, we set out to do some fishing. At first, we thought it would be a great day. Within 10-15 minutes, we both caught rainbows in excess of 10 inches. I also hooked a nice brown right at camp but he came unhooked.

After that, the fishing slowed to a crawl. We fished on for a while wondering if we were fishing behind someone. Finally we bailed out and hiked upstream for a bit, we soon saw another angler, we talked to him to find out we were fishing behind 3 people. We headed back to camp and took a little break.

Although the fishing was slow, the average fish was pretty decent.

The stream was absolutely beautiful.

After a short break, we fished around camp for a while and caught supper. We thought things were picking up. Oldman caught the bigger one and while he was putting it on the stringer, I casted in the same hole and pulled out his smaller buddy. The fishing slowed down after that. We kept 3, one for each of us and one for our camp neighbor. It was his first trout ever and he loved it.

We headed back to camp and hung out around the fire, talking with our camp neighbor. He was an interesting fellow, to say the least. Right at dark, 3 teenage boys came in, it was there first ever camping trip. Their plans were to stay out for 7 days and nights, I hope they will be okay. They seemed like nice kids, but I don't they had a clue what they were doing and I really don't think they had enough food for that long.

We woke Sunday morning to the sound of rain. We ate breakfast and decided to bug out. We packed up and hiked out in the rain. With the thunderstorms moving in, we felt it was best. We had no desire to sit under a tarp all day and wait of the weather.

It was still a fun trip. The hike was a beast for me as I am not in tip top shape. It's uphill both ways. Going in, you climb 1 very steep ridge and going out you climb 2 very steep ridges. I am still sore.

We left some food with the kids at camp, trying lighten our packs and help them out at the same time.

We saw no bears, but at least 5 big piles of bear scat were on the trail. Our camp neighbor sad he saw a bear near camp on Friday. We had a buck walk into camp Sunday morning, all decked out in his velvet antlers, he looked to be pretty mature and I think his rack will be pretty nice once it's grown out. He came within 30 feet of us, but my camera was in the tent so I was unable to get a picture. It's little things like that that make a backcountry trip so special.