Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cppperheads and Little River

Default Cppperheads and Little River

My Cousin fished Little River Sat. and caught several Rainbows and a nice 12in Brown.
    He came across 3 copperheads. One in the water. He tore a calf muscle avoiding it.
    Be careful and watch where you put your feet and hands. The hot dry weather is
    pushing them to the water. None of us had ever seen a poisonous snake it the Park
    before this trip.

I fished tremont last week and had a copperhead swim right up to me, pushed him away with my rod but he was persistant and won the ledge from me. beautiful snake

Default Officially speaking...

I would like to go on record. Contrary to many vicious rumors circuited by members of the Deep Dip Community Church in Del Rio where I once pastured, I have not killed every copperhead and rattlesnake I have ever encountered, or for that matter passed out to members of the congregation during Sunday night services. (The same is not true about water moccasins...). As a matter of fact, three years I released a 24" copperhead alive after I had deftly removed its fangs. (Forceps are handy dandy fishing vest gadgets.)
    Many people recommend killing the murderous serpents on sight, and I would not be too quick to contemn their assertions. I personally believe that defanging these vipers is adequate, unless of course you are making a hat band or savor their flaky white meat, as then the demise of the belly crawling vermin is a active consideration. I do not know if the NPS issues rattler/copperhead permits any more, but the next time I am at the Sugarlands, I will ask. It’s always better to ask first…

Willing to bet you probably saw northern water snakes instead of copperheads. Little River is covered with them.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by $3Bridge View Post
    Willing to bet you probably saw northern water snakes instead of copperheads. Little River is covered with them.
    Unless it had a big triangular head I bet your right

Their marking are eerily similar.

Although I have seen 2 rattlers in the past month, one during Lynn Camp shocking which one of the students had to be put on snake duty, and another on Little Rv trail Mem day weekend that held me up for 20 minutes

Default No to Northern Water Snake

Fished with several Northern Water Snakes. Even caught one in a crawfish trap under my dock.
    These were Copperheads!

This fellow shared a pool with me, Middle Prong, Little River, on Tuesday evening....he did better than I did.

Yikes! I am scared of three things in this order
    #3. Snakes
    #2. Bears
    My #1 fear: A bear carrying a snake.
    This pic is getting close to all three of my fears!

Quote Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
    Yikes! I am scared of three things in this order
    #3. Snakes
    #2. Bears
    My #1 fear: A bear carrying a snake.
    This pic is getting close to all three of my fears!
    Be VERY afraid of a snake carrying a bear!
    “The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, Montana.”
    ― Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

That northern water snake has a nice catch there. I remember seeing the same thing once on Bradley Fork. The snake and the trout were in a wrestling match with the snake refusing to let go. Finally made over to a brushpile area and ate the rainbow.