Thread: Mosquito Patterns

Lightbulb Mosquito Patterns

I have been working on some flies for my son to take to WY for a NOLS course he is going to attend. Most of the suggested patterns were ones that I already tie, or at least had tied at some time except the mosquito. I ended up trying about a half a dozen patterns but settled on these first two. I tried biot bodies, quill stem bodies, and one light and one dark moose hair body. I ended up liking the moose hair body, with the moose hair tail the best. I think it will be more durable and float better than a hackle tail fiber. Some had down wings and some have traditional upright hen tip wings. I ended up tying him a few of each.

Moose hair one light, one dark, up wing, moose tail

Down wing, moose hair one light, one dark, moose tail

Up wing, grizzly hackle stem body. The stem may be the most durable, but it just looked too dark and lacked segmentation.

Biot body, up wing

Down wing, one light one dark moose hair, hackle fiber tail
    Last edited by flyman; 07-09-2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me!
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Those look really nice flyman.
    Tiny hooks I assume?

Those flies look awesome! I agree with you that the look of the moose hair body is great. Those flies look too pretty to fish...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

The y all look great, but I really like the biot body - upwing ........
    Heaven seems a little closer .........on a Smoky Mountain stream.......
    Jeremiah 29:13

Those flies are beauties! My favorite fly is the dry and the toughest to fish. One problem I have noticed with small dry flies is that sit too high on the surface. This makes it almost impossible to identify unless it drifts right over the fish's snell window due to refraction.

• One tip you might want to consider is to trim your lower hackle to sit the fly lower in the film. This will help accentuate the profile to the trout.
    • Also; I like to wrap a bit of silver wire on the gape of the hook.

Here is an example of the idea I am trying to explain previously. The picture is of an adult mayfly that I took a few months back...Hope this helps with some of your patterns.

*PS-Also, I like to use wet or nymph hooks for my dries. This helps the body to sit better in the film.

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 07-10-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: hooks...
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Steve,
    Good to see some photos of your flies around online. It's been awhile since I've seen you post some... Or maybe I just need to check in more often! Beautiful dries!!

Caleb

Excellent flies Steve, you are an artist when it comes to your flies!

"TOP HAT" Mr. Flyman ......you put the bar way up there where we cant reach.Feed -em to the painted fish.
    "never let a day go by without telling the CHILDREN how special they are"

I took shawn's advice and applied it to my own tying of flies.......excellent advice......more hookups....more fish......thanks for the tip......just thought I would bump the thread........any more tips would be greatly appreciated...from any and all..........
    Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
    Those flies are beauties! My favorite fly is the dry and the toughest to fish. One problem I have noticed with small dry flies is that sit too high on the surface. This makes it almost impossible to identify unless it drifts right over the fish's snell window due to refraction.

• One tip you might want to consider is to trim your lower hackle to sit the fly lower in the film. This will help accentuate the profile to the trout.
    • Also; I like to wrap a bit of silver wire on the gape of the hook.

Here is an example of the idea I am trying to explain previously. The picture is of an adult mayfly that I took a few months back...Hope this helps with some of your patterns.

*PS-Also, I like to use wet or nymph hooks for my dries. This helps the body to sit better in the film.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton