Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Clinch Monsters

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sevierville TN
    Posts
    494

    Default Clinch Monsters

    After some trout fishing yesterday on the Clinch with Shawn we motored past an enormous herd of HUGE stripers; not a small one in the bunch, most easily 30 inch and some nearly 50 inches long.

    I hope to be back next Saturday with the appropriate Fly Gear, Boat, and enormous flies.

    Until then it will be difficult to sleep without dreaming about them. I have caught zillions of stripers in New England waters but they were all sea run fish in the rivers. I so want to hook-up with a totally salt-free striper.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,325

    Default

    Just be sure to slit their stomachs prior to release. Benchmade makes a nifty blade called a Rescue hook, run into their anus and zip it to their gill plates. They won't go far...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sevierville TN
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Well there were hundreds of them so I doubt it possible to catch them all. There did not appear to be any shortage of trout around.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
    Well there were hundreds of them so I doubt it possible to catch them all. There did not appear to be any shortage of trout around.
    Hundreds?...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    1,168

    Default

    Question...

    I had heard that the stripers stocked in the lakes around here are sterile. Is this true? Is it possible that the stripers are making a spawning run up the tailwater?

    I have fished for them on the lakes, but as far as the habits of stripers I am completely unfamiliar with.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
    Question...

    I had heard that the stripers stocked in the lakes around here are sterile. Is this true? Is it possible that the stripers are making a spawning run up the tailwater?

    I have fished for them on the lakes, but as far as the habits of stripers I am completely unfamiliar with.
    They are not sterile, but from what I have read the requirements for them to successfully spawn do not exist here and thus the reason they have to be stocked in order to sustain the population.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    They are not sterile, but from what I have read the requirements for them to successfully spawn do not exist here and thus the reason they have to be stocked in order to sustain the population.
    You must have not seen the movie Jurassic Park then!
    I am a great admirer of spectator sports, especially on television; it keeps the riffraff off the trout streams.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Norris, TN
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
    Well there were hundreds of them so I doubt it possible to catch them all. There did not appear to be any shortage of trout around.
    I think Corbo was just a bit excited about seeing the stripers. We saw probably about a dozen or so in scattered group.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
    I think Corbo was just a bit excited about seeing the stripers. We saw probably about a dozen or so in scattered group.
    Thank heavens, I was discouraged. I have been killing them off and felt for a moment like they were spawning from the gravel.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Norris, TN
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    Thank heavens, I was discouraged. I have been killing them off and felt for a moment like they were spawning from the gravel.

    I hate to kill anything; but, these things do seem to have been upstream longer than normal and they are putting a hurt on the trout. Keep working them if it will help the trout population.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-19-2013, 09:40 AM
  2. Clinch River / Small Dam + The key to the Clinch
    By phil4christ in forum Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 12:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •