Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Drakes

Default Green Drakes

I fished Saturday morning, had a midge hatch and then caught a bug that looked like a green drake. Maybe an #18, trout were not taking them strong but were sipping them under the film.
    Anyone see these bugs ? Am I correct, are they green Drakes ?
    c.v.

Hard to imagine a size 18 looking likeany Drake I have ever seen. Drakes are large bugs.

If it had an olive body and slate grey wings, the size sounds like a blue wing olive. It would be an oddity to see these in any numbers on the Clinch (unfortunately).

4X

Default perhaps but

fourx, I have seen b.w.o.s and this was similar but different in that the thorax was much thiner and darker and the legs similar to a water bug. When I first saw them coming off I thought the same but when I caught one, I didn't think so. I don't carry a camera and have drowned my cel phone twice this summer so taking a pic with it was not possible.
    I saw a pic last week on the message board but cannot find it. thanks for offering, you maybe correct.
    c.v.

There is a small cranefly hatching on the Clinch right now. It doesn't sit still like a mayfly on the surface, but skims it. It doesn't bounce around like a caddis does either. Does this sound like what you saw?
    I am a great admirer of spectator sports, especially on television; it keeps the riffraff off the trout streams.

Default genius

you're a genius, that is exactly what it was. You're also correct in that they just skitter on the top. Trout were sipping in the film not taking them on top. I caught a very nice fish on a split case emerger, I wonder if they were taking crane flies as they emerged or something else.

I don't see that as a easy tie ?
    c.v.

Dang Phil! You are a genius.
    Leaving for Silver Creek, etc. sat., we need an entomologist!

4X

How about a #18 deer hair or cdc gray caddis? Fake it if you can't join 'em! If dead drift doesn't work, skid it over the surface in short strips.

Stay thirsty my friends!
    I am a great admirer of spectator sports, especially on television; it keeps the riffraff off the trout streams.

Quote Originally Posted by fourx View Post
    Dang Phil! You are a genius.
    Leaving for Silver Creek, etc. sat., we need an entomologist!

4X
    Have a great time! I wouldn't go back out there unless I had ten pounds of Valium with me! Toughest place I have ever fished! Beautiful however!

The sign in at Silver Creek.

Default My new fly.....

The Cockeyed Valdez! Just for you! HA! Seriously, many CDC patterns out there or a small gray deer hair caddis should work.

I screwed the head up a bit but I used 240 Denier thread because i am tying saltwater stuff tonight so I didn't go 6/0 and just happened to have an #18 2488H TMC hook sitting around.

I even threw in some legs for you.... I would use a lighter dun CDC but I am running dry from the sulphur season.... Thread body is all you need.

Last edited by Flat Fly n; 09-18-2012 at 07:37 PM.