Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fall Escape

Default Fall Escape

The trees have shed their leaves at higher elevations, but based on the weather you would assume its still early fall. This past weekend featured high temperatures around 80 on the plains with the mountains warming up to 60 or better except in the highest of elevations where snow has fallen. I had to get out and do some camping since I had not been yet since moving out here.

My destination was far enough from the Front Range urban corridor that I more or less had the place to myself. The campground only had maybe 5 other sites occupied and I only saw one fisherman the whole weekend in the area I was at. The elk were still out and about bugling and doing their thing.

The Orionid meteor shower produced a few "shooting stars" for me to see although I never did capture any with my camera. The sunset was a different matter, and I enjoyed watching an amazing display of color as the sun sank behind the mountains.

The browns were aggressive towards streamers which made the fishing game a lot more interesting. I also saw some browns out watching for insects during the afternoons but never bothered to tie on a dry fly. Why change what's working?

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Wow! great pictures and story wish I was there.

That is just about as good as it gets, very nice.

Once again, another great post. Have you started investigating what your winter fishing options are? Are you going to be pretty much limited to South Platte tailwaters? As if that were a negative...

Looks like a good time to me! You didn't even have to put on waders.

Smile

Great Post. Thanks for sharing.

I'd hate to be a Brown trout living in your neck of the woods

Scenery is pretty awesome to boot

Awesome adventure David! Looks like your are having a blast...
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Quote Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
    Once again, another great post. Have you started investigating what your winter fishing options are? Are you going to be pretty much limited to South Platte tailwaters? As if that were a negative...
    Travis, I'm not sure how much I'll get out during the winter but I have a few options. I plan on heading over the mountains to fish the Frying Pan sometime during the winter when the weather is decent. That's a trip I'm really excited about. Of course, the South Platte will offer some fishable water and who knows, I may even take up ice fishing!

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words and comments. I count myself fortunate to be able to have such scenery nearby!
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

The Trout Zone Blog

Hi David...

Great post. I have been contemplating a move to the Breckenridge area. Seems like most shops have extended hours in the WINTER and the guides seem to fish year round.

To me, all good news...Love winter time fishing.

Thanks for the report.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyMt4runner View Post
    Hi David...

Great post. I have been contemplating a move to the Breckenridge area. Seems like most shops have extended hours in the WINTER and the guides seem to fish year round.

To me, all good news...Love winter time fishing.

Thanks for the report.
    That's a great area! If you have the opportunity I can assure you that the fishing will be great. That is not too far from the South Platte in South Park (Dream Stream, etc). Also, you have the Blue River right there with great fishing and of course, if you extend your drive time to a couple of hours you have some of the best fishing in the west at your fingertips. Good luck with your decision to move or not. Despite all the great fishing out here, I can tell you that east TN is more diverse and the year round fishing isn't as miserably cold...

The Trout Zone Blog